Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws

In summary, the near-field distance attenuation follows an inverse cube law (1/d^3), while in the far-field it follows an inverse law (1/d). By converting the magnitude to DB scale using 20 log (D), we can arrive at 60dB/decade from the inverse distance cube relation and 20dB/decade from the inverse distance relation. The proof is simply done by using the equation 20 log (1/d^3) and 20 log (1/d). This shows that there is no additional justification needed and the solution can be found by using basic control theory principles.
teknodude

Homework Statement

near-field distance attenuation follows an inverse cube law (1/d^3), while in the far-field it follows inverse law (1/d). Prove mathematically how we arrive at 60dB/decade from the inverse distance cube relation and 20dB/decade from the inverse distance
relation.

Homework Equations

20 log (D) where D is the distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure this problem is similar to control theory in converting magnitude to DB scale with 20 log (D). I can actually see the answer just by doing that; however, I'm thinking I'm missing the big picture somewhere by doing that. Mostly I can't seem to justify using the above equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
teknodude said:

Homework Statement

near-field distance attenuation follows an inverse cube law (1/d^3), while in the far-field it follows inverse law (1/d). Prove mathematically how we arrive at 60dB/decade from the inverse distance cube relation and 20dB/decade from the inverse distance
relation.

Homework Equations

20 log (D) where D is the distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure this problem is similar to control theory in converting magnitude to DB scale with 20 log (D). I can actually see the answer just by doing that; however, I'm thinking I'm missing the big picture somewhere by doing that. Mostly I can't seem to justify using the above equation.

What is log(1/d^3) ?

Maybe I was thinking too much and thought there was more to the proof than just doing 20log(1/d^3) and 20 log (1/d). Thanks.

Glad to help. :biggrin:

As a scientist, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions in any mathematical derivation. In this case, the inverse cube and inverse distance laws are used to describe the relationship between the intensity of a source and its distance from an observer. These laws are based on the assumption that the source is a point source, and the intensity of the source decreases as the distance increases due to spreading of the energy over a larger area.

To understand how we arrive at 60dB/decade from the inverse distance cube relation and 20dB/decade from the inverse distance relation, we can use the equation for sound intensity, which is given by:

I = P/A

Where I is the sound intensity, P is the power of the source, and A is the area through which the sound energy is spreading.

For a point source, the intensity at a distance d is given by:

I = P/4πd^2

Where 4πd^2 is the surface area of a sphere with radius d.

For the near-field distance attenuation, we can use the inverse cube law:

I ∝ 1/d^3

Therefore, at a distance of 2d, the intensity would be:

I' = I/(2d)^3 = I/8d^3

Taking the logarithm of both sides, we get:

log(I') = log(I) - 3log(2d)

Using the logarithmic property log(ab) = log(a) + log(b), we can rewrite this as:

log(I') = log(I) - 3log(d) - 3log(2)

Now, using the equation for sound intensity (I = P/4πd^2), we can write:

log(P') = log(P) - 2log(d) - 2log(2)

Where P' is the power at a distance of 2d.

By taking the difference between the logarithms of the power at two different distances, we can calculate the change in decibels (dB) between the two distances:

Δ dB = 20log(P'/P) = 20log(P) - 20log(P') = 20log(d) - 20log(d') = 20log(2)

This shows that for every doubling of the distance, there is a decrease of 20dB in the sound intensity. In other words, the near-field distance attenuation follows a logarithmic

1. What are Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws?

Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws are mathematical formulas that describe the decrease in intensity of a wave as it travels away from its source. They are commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and optics to predict the behavior of waves and how they are affected by distance.

2. What is the difference between Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws?

The main difference between Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws is the distance at which they are most accurate. Near Field Attenuation Inverse Law is used for distances close to the source, where the wave is still in its near field and its behavior is affected by the source itself. Far Field Attenuation Inverse Law is used for distances far from the source, where the wave is in its far field and its behavior is affected by the medium it is traveling through.

3. How do Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws affect the intensity of a wave?

Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws both describe a decrease in intensity as the distance from the source increases. However, the rate of decrease is different for each law. Near Field Attenuation Inverse Law shows a faster decrease in intensity compared to Far Field Attenuation Inverse Law, as the wave is still close to its source and its behavior is more strongly affected by it.

4. Can Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. However, the specific equations and constants used may vary depending on the type of wave and the medium it is traveling through.

5. How can Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws be used in practical applications?

Near and Far Field Attenuation Inverse Laws have many practical applications, such as predicting the coverage range of a radio signal, designing efficient speakers and microphones, and determining the optimal placement of sound barriers for noise reduction. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to accurately measure the distance and intensity of the waves being used.