How to show the inverse square law from a data set

In summary, the conversation discusses a data set of independent variable r and dependent variable E, and the question asks for a non-graphical method to determine if there is an inverse square law relationship between the two. The individual attempted to use the equation of field strength in a radial field to show the relationship, but was unsure of how to proceed. Ultimately, they were able to solve the problem.
BEECHBOY707

Homework Statement

Hi there! I have a data set of r (independent variable) and E (electric field strength) (dependent variable). The question asks for a non graphical method to show if there is an inverse square law relationship between the two data sets.
--
My attempt:
I picked the equation of field strength in a radial field to show that E is proportional to the inverse of r squared. I then, without any obvious next move, tried to find a relationship between the two days sets. I tried simply putting the two into the formula, I tried logging E and then multiplying it by the square of r, but I have a mind black and don't know how to do it! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, worked it out. It was a mind blank after all!

1. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a scientific principle that states that the intensity of a physical quantity (such as light or force) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. In other words, as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases by the square of that distance.

2. How can I show the inverse square law from a data set?

To show the inverse square law from a data set, you will need to plot the data on a graph with the intensity on the y-axis and the distance on the x-axis. Then, you can use the trendline or curve-fitting function in your graphing software to fit the data to an inverse square function. If the data follows a curve that is close to the inverse square function, it is a good indication that the inverse square law is at work.

3. Can the inverse square law be applied to any physical quantity?

The inverse square law can be applied to any physical quantity that follows an inverse square relationship, such as light, sound, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational force. However, it is important to note that there are some instances where the inverse square law does not apply, such as in the case of strong nuclear force.

4. What is the significance of the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand how certain physical quantities behave in relation to distance. It is used in a wide range of fields, from astronomy to engineering, and is crucial in the development of many technologies.

5. Can the inverse square law be proven through experimentation?

Yes, the inverse square law has been extensively tested and proven through experiments. Many famous experiments, such as the Cavendish experiment and the Michelson-Morley experiment, have provided evidence for the inverse square relationship between physical quantities.