Necessary and sufficient condition for inequality

A is the positive real number in the original question.In summary, the necessary and sufficient condition for the inequality x2-3x-10 < 0, when considering the condition |x-2| < A, is given by the range of values A ≥ 3. This means that for the inequality to be true, the value of A must be at least 3.
songoku

Homework Statement

consider two conditions x2-3x-10 < 0 and |x-2| < A on a real number x, where A is positive real number

(i) find the range of values of A such that |x-2| < A is a necessary condition for x2-3x-10 < 0
(ii) find the range of values of A such that |x-2| < A is a sufficient condition for x2-3x-10 < 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what is necessary and sufficient condition? I tried googling but found nothing about it...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

consider two conditions x2-3x-10 < 0 and |x-2| < A on a real number x, where A is positive real number

(i) find the range of values of A such that |x-2| < A is a necessary condition for x2-3x-10 < 0
(ii) find the range of values of A such that |x-2| < A is a sufficient condition for x2-3x-10 < 0

Homework Equations

what is necessary and sufficient condition? I tried googling but found nothing about it...

thanks

Well, the first step is to solve the equality x2-3x-10 = 0. You will get two solutions. Then you will have to think about what makes the inequality true. The necessary condition is the one that is requried to make the statement true: "For hot dogs to taste good, they must have mustard". The sufficient condition is the one that says if the condition is met, the statement is true, "As long as hot dogs have mustard, hot dogs are good." The necessary and sufficient condition that if that condition is met, by necessity, the statement is true "only hot dogs that have mustard are good (necessity) and if they have mustard they need nothing else to be good (sufficency)".

jamesmo said:
Well, the first step is to solve the equality x2-3x-10 = 0. You will get two solutions. Then you will have to think about what makes the inequality true. The necessary condition is the one that is requried to make the statement true: "For hot dogs to taste good, they must have mustard". The sufficient condition is the one that says if the condition is met, the statement is true, "As long as hot dogs have mustard, hot dogs are good." The necessary and sufficient condition that if that condition is met, by necessity, the statement is true "only hot dogs that have mustard are good (necessity) and if they have mustard they need nothing else to be good (sufficency)".

the answer for the inequality : -2 < x < 5

then,
|x-2| < A
-A < x-2 < A
2-A < x < 2+A

I still don't understand how to obtain the necessary and sufficient condition.

thanks

songoku said:
the answer for the inequality : -2 < x < 5

then,
|x-2| < A
-A < x-2 < A
2-A < x < 2+A

I still don't understand how to obtain the necessary and sufficient condition.

thanks

Now think about the other inequality. At x= -2 => |-2-2| = 4 and at x = 5 => |5 - 2| = 3

The necessary condition is the one that has to be met, though there may be other conditions required to make it true. I will let you work out sufficient.

songoku said:

thanks
Really??! Not to be contrary (though I usually AM), but you must not have looked too closely. The wikipedia page for "necessary and sufficient conditions" is pretty informative. It requires a bit of logic.

There are statements P and Q.
P <=> |x-2| < A
Q <=> x2-3x-10 < 0

"Formally, a statement P is a necessary condition of a statement Q if Q implies P."
Q is equivalent to (x-5)(x+2) < 0, which is equivalent to -2 < x < 5. If you subtract two from each part of the compound inequality, you get
-4 < x - 2 < 3.
I guess from here you could say (and it requires a bit of creative insight) that
-4 < -3 < x - 2 < 3.
Drop the "-4"
-3 < x - 2 < 3, which is equivalent to |x-2| < 3.

jamesmo said:
Now think about the other inequality. At x= -2 => |-2-2| = 4 and at x = 5 => |5 - 2| = 3

The necessary condition is the one that has to be met, though there may be other conditions required to make it true. I will let you work out sufficient.

I don't get your hint..don't understand how to relate the examples about x = -2 and x = 5 to find the answer.

The Chaz said:
Really??! Not to be contrary (though I usually AM), but you must not have looked too closely. The wikipedia page for "necessary and sufficient conditions" is pretty informative. It requires a bit of logic.

There are statements P and Q.
P <=> |x-2| < A
Q <=> x2-3x-10 < 0

"Formally, a statement P is a necessary condition of a statement Q if Q implies P."
Q is equivalent to (x-5)(x+2) < 0, which is equivalent to -2 < x < 5. If you subtract two from each part of the compound inequality, you get
-4 < x - 2 < 3.
I guess from here you could say (and it requires a bit of creative insight) that
-4 < -3 < x - 2 < 3.
Drop the "-4"
-3 < x - 2 < 3, which is equivalent to |x-2| < 3.

My bad, I meant that I didn't find an example necessary and sufficient condition used directly to inequality. I read the wiki page but I am facing difficulty to apply it to my question.

I understand your work, but still not be able to translate your work to find the answer...

Here's my other attempt :
range of values of A such that |x-2| < A is a necessary condition for x2-3x-10 < 0 is A≥4. Is this right?

thanks

No. Look at the last line of my post and compare it with what you're looking for...
"|x - 2| < 3" compared with
"|x - 2| < A".

What is "A"?

The Chaz said:
No. Look at the last line of my post and compare it with what you're looking for...
"|x - 2| < 3" compared with
"|x - 2| < A".

What is "A"?

A = 3 but the question asks about the range of A so I think the answer won't be just a number.

My thought :
|x-2| < A
-A < x-2 < A
2-A < x < 2+A

For : A ≤ 3, the min. value of (2-A) is -1 (not fit to -2 < x < 5)
For : A ≥ 3, the value of 2-A < x < 2+A can be -1 < x < 5 (not fit to -2 < x < 5)

So, for -2 < x < 5 fits in 2-A < x < 2+A, A should be at least 4, then A≥4

Where is my mistake?

Thanks

The absolute value can't be negative, so A has to be >= 0

The Chaz said:
The absolute value can't be negative, so A has to be >= 0

hm...I don't really get what you mean. My answer is A≥4 so it is obvious that A ≥ 0.

Can you tell me where my mistake is in my work?

songoku said:
hm...I don't really get what you mean. My answer is A≥4 so it is obvious that A ≥ 0.

Can you tell me where my mistake is in my work?

Think about it if A were say, 5 what would that imply for what x is? (-3 or 7) Is the original inequality true? (it isn't) Once you have done that thought experiment, would the inequality be right for 3.5? or 2?

I have found messing with inequalities can be tricky, especially when trying to get signs right. They are often times easier to understand with logic rather than algebra.

jamesmo said:
Think about it if A were say, 5 what would that imply for what x is? (-3 or 7) Is the original inequality true? (it isn't) Once you have done that thought experiment, would the inequality be right for 3.5? or 2?

I have found messing with inequalities can be tricky, especially when trying to get signs right. They are often times easier to understand with logic rather than algebra.

For the original inequality to be true :
2-A = -2
A = 4

2+A = 5
A = 3

there can't be single value for A...

My logic doesn't work here. I'm very confused..

Thanks

songoku said:
For the original inequality to be true :
2-A = -2
A = 4

2+A = 5
A = 3

there can't be single value for A...

My logic doesn't work here. I'm very confused..

Thanks

There isn't a singular value, one is the necessary condition the other is the sufficient.

jamesmo said:
There isn't a singular value, one is the necessary condition the other is the sufficient.

Let me try again. So, necessary and sufficient condition are related to 3 or 4.

necessary condition is the one that is required to make the statement true, then maybe it is the same as my answer before, A ≥ 4.

sufficient condition is the one that says if the condition is met, the statement is true, then maybe 0 < a ≤ 3.

Are those right answers?

Thanks

songoku said:
Let me try again. So, necessary and sufficient condition are related to 3 or 4.

necessary condition is the one that is required to make the statement true, then maybe it is the same as my answer before, A ≥ 4.

sufficient condition is the one that says if the condition is met, the statement is true, then maybe 0 < a ≤ 3.

Are those right answers?

Thanks

You are almost there, but the inequality for the necessary condition is backwards. Does the concept make sense now?

jamesmo said:
You are almost there, but the inequality for the necessary condition is backwards. Does the concept make sense now?

For this one I think I get it. Hope it will be easier for the other questions.

thanks a lot for your help jamesmo and the chaz :smile:

Related to Necessary and sufficient condition for inequality

1. What is a necessary and sufficient condition for inequality?

Necessary and sufficient conditions for inequality refer to the minimum requirements that must be met in order for an inequality to exist. These conditions must be both necessary, meaning that they are required for the inequality to exist, and sufficient, meaning that they are enough to guarantee the existence of the inequality.

2. How do necessary and sufficient conditions differ from each other?

Necessary conditions are the minimum requirements that must be met for an event to occur, while sufficient conditions are enough to guarantee the occurrence of the event. In other words, a necessary condition is a prerequisite for the event, while a sufficient condition is a guarantee of the event.

3. Can a necessary condition also be a sufficient condition for inequality?

Yes, a necessary condition can also be a sufficient condition for inequality. This means that meeting the minimum requirements for the inequality to exist is also enough to guarantee its existence.

4. What is the role of necessary and sufficient conditions in proving inequalities?

Necessary and sufficient conditions play a crucial role in proving inequalities. By identifying and understanding the minimum requirements for an inequality to exist, we can use these conditions to prove the validity of the inequality statement.

5. Are necessary and sufficient conditions the only factors that determine inequality?

No, necessary and sufficient conditions are not the only factors that determine inequality. Other factors such as social, economic, and political factors may also play a role in the existence of inequality. However, identifying and understanding the necessary and sufficient conditions is a key step in understanding and addressing inequality.