Necessary and Sufficient Meaning of Isometries by D. J. H. Garling

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "necessary" and "sufficient" in regards to isometries, with Garling explaining that the condition \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E for all x \in E is necessary for T to be an isometry, and sufficient to imply that T is an isometry. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of "necessary" and "sufficient" in basic logic, with necessary being equivalent to \neg P \Longrightarrow \neg Q and sufficient being equivalent to P \Longrightarrow Q. The summary concludes with confirmation that the understanding of the conversation is correct.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Isometries ... Remarks by Garling including terms "necessary" and "sufficient" ...

I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help in order to understand some remarks by Garling made at the start of Section 11.5 ... ...

The remarks by Garling made at the start of Section 11.5 ... ... read as follows:
View attachment 8977In the above remarks Garling talks abut "the condition" being necessary and "the condition" being sufficient ...

It seems to me that that "the condition" is as follows:

\(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry \(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E\)Can someone explain to me the meaning of Garling's use of necessary and sufficient ...

NOTE: It seems that in the case where Garling says the condition is necessary that he is proving ...

\(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E \)

and when Garling says he is proving sufficiency he is proving ...

\(\displaystyle \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E \Longrightarrow T\) is an isometry ...

But why is this ... I need to fully understand necessity and sufficiency ... Hope someone can help ...

Peter***NOTE 2***From what I understand in basic logic ...

\(\displaystyle P \Longrightarrow Q\) in words means \(\displaystyle P\) is sufficient for \(\displaystyle Q\) ...

while \(\displaystyle \sim P \Longrightarrow \sim Q\) translates to \(\displaystyle P\) is necessary for \(\displaystyle Q\) ...

Attachments

• Garling - Start of Secton 11.5 on Isometries  ... .png
    Garling - Start of Secton 11.5 on Isometries ... .png
    17.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Isometries ... Remarks by Garling including terms "necessary" and "sufficient" ...

Peter said:
Can someone explain to me the meaning of Garling's use of necessary and sufficient ...

NOTE: It seems that in the case where Garling says the condition is necessary that he is proving ...

\(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E \)

and when Garling says he is proving sufficiency he is proving ...

\(\displaystyle \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E \Longrightarrow T\) is an isometry ...

But why is this ... I need to fully understand necessity and sufficiency ...
From what I understand in basic logic ...

\(\displaystyle P \Longrightarrow Q\) in words means \(\displaystyle P\) is sufficient for \(\displaystyle Q\) ...

while \(\displaystyle \sim P \Longrightarrow \sim Q\) translates to \(\displaystyle P\) is necessary for \(\displaystyle Q\) ...
As you correctly say, \(\displaystyle \neg P \Longrightarrow \neg Q\) translates to \(\displaystyle P\) is necessary for \(\displaystyle Q\). But \(\displaystyle \neg P \Longrightarrow \neg Q\) is equivalent to $Q \Longrightarrow P$. So \(\displaystyle Q \Longrightarrow P\) in words means \(\displaystyle P\) is necessary for \(\displaystyle Q\).

Re: Isometries ... Remarks by Garling including terms "necessary" and "sufficient" ...

Peter said:
It seems to me that that "the condition" is as follows:

\(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry \(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E\)
The condition is \(\displaystyle \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in E\). The fact that it is necessary for $T$ to be an isometry means that if $T$ is an isometry, then the equality holds. The fact that it is sufficient means that it implies that $T$ is an isometry.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The condition is \(\displaystyle \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E\) for all \(\displaystyle x \in E\). The fact that it is necessary for $T$ to be an isometry means that if $T$ is an isometry, then the equality holds. The fact that it is sufficient means that it implies that $T$ is an isometry.
Thanks to Opalg and Evgeny I think I now am clear on the issues above...To summarise ...

The condition, say \(\displaystyle P \equiv \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E\) ...

Let \(\displaystyle Q \equiv\) \(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry ... ...
Then ... \(\displaystyle P\) is necessary for \(\displaystyle Q\) ... means ...

\(\displaystyle \sim P \Longrightarrow \sim Q\) ... which is equivalent to ...

\(\displaystyle Q \Longrightarrow P\) ... which means ... \(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E\) ...

... and ...

\(\displaystyle P\) is sufficient for \(\displaystyle Q\) ... means ...

\(\displaystyle P \Longrightarrow Q\) ... which means ...

\(\displaystyle \| T(x) \|_F = \| x \|_E \text{ for all } x \in E \Longrightarrow\) \(\displaystyle T\) is an isometry ...
Is the above correct ...Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Yes, it is correct.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, it is correct.
Thanks Evgeny ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

1. What is the concept of isometries in mathematics?

Isometries refer to transformations that preserve the distance between any two points in a geometric figure. In other words, the shape and size of the figure remain unchanged after the transformation.

2. Why is understanding the necessary and sufficient meaning of isometries important?

Understanding the necessary and sufficient meaning of isometries is crucial in various fields of mathematics, such as geometry, topology, and group theory. It allows us to identify and classify different types of isometries and their properties, which can be applied in solving problems and proofs.

3. What are the necessary conditions for a transformation to be an isometry?

The necessary conditions for a transformation to be an isometry are that it must preserve distance, angles, and orientation. This means that the distance between any two points, the measure of angles, and the order of points in a figure must remain the same after the transformation.

4. What are the sufficient conditions for a transformation to be an isometry?

The sufficient conditions for a transformation to be an isometry are that it must be a one-to-one and onto function, and it must preserve distance. This means that the transformation must be bijective and must preserve the distance between any two points in the figure.

5. How can the necessary and sufficient meaning of isometries be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of isometries can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately represent and manipulate geometric figures and objects, ensuring that their shape and size remain unchanged.