Necessary programming languages to learn/master in BS Math?

• Thread starter Eli Puerto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, mastering programming languages is essential for BS Math students as it allows them to apply mathematical concepts in real-world problem solving. Some necessary languages to learn include Python, Java, and R, which are widely used in data analysis and scientific computing. Additionally, students should also be familiar with languages like C++, MATLAB, and SQL, which are commonly used in mathematical modeling and optimization. By mastering these programming languages, BS Math students can enhance their analytical and problem-solving skills, making them more competitive in the job market.
Eli Puerto
Hi! Will be taking BS Math in 2019, and as early as now I would like to practice my necessary skills so that I would not end up left behind.
I'm still currently in 12th grade under a specialized STEM program.

Technology news on Phys.org
When you ask a question like this you will invariably get that poster's pet language.

Not what you personally need.

It depends on the curriculum - what classes are required, plus your elective classes. To get an example of the constellation of computer languages:
List of 700 languages at Rosetta Code - a programming chrestomathy:
http://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Programming_Languages

Another issue is the "niche" factor of a language. Example:
Engineering math often uses FORTRAN. Because a lot of FORTRAN based software for engineering is already out there.

A more niche-less language because it has lots of add-ons:
python has a lot of add on libraries and so is very flexible, is easy to learn, and is much less oriented to one niche. Scypy and numpy are example add-ons.

Only your curriculum counts here. Play around with any opensource language you like, unless you can find out exactly what language you will be expected to learn. Contact your college's math department. Don't listen to us for choice of language. :smile:

Likes Klystron and FactChecker
Try the Processing IDE where you can play either with Java, Javascript or Python. There is no best language but there are a lot of wannabe languages out there looking for programmers. Its best to learn one language well and then branch out as needed.

As an example, a Java programmer may branch out into scripting languages learning bash, awk and then get into as he/she needs more flexibility Python...

Numerical folks like Python(free), Matlab (commercial product), and Julia(free). Many engineers and computational scientists use these languages for work and colleges may use them in their coursework.

If you want to do gaming then look at Unity game engine and C# or Javascript.

But I would recommend Processing as the best beginner strategy. There are many 3rd party libraries available for it (see the Insight article about its features: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-joy-of-processing/ ) It has a great feedback loop, write a line of code and press play to see what happens...

Recommend you check out the school's bookstore and online book requirements for courses of interest to you. If you read ahead you'll do better in the class.

Eli Puerto said:
Will be taking BS Math in 2019
What is "BS Math"? Does that mean you will be starting a Bachelor of Science curriculum in Math?

For any application, there are a variety of languages that will get the job done. Your school probably has selected one for use in BS Math (whatever that means). That is the one that you should learn. Ask the teachers.

Mark44 said:
What is "BS Math"? Does that mean you will be starting a Bachelor of Science curriculum in Math?

It's what a degree in Mathematica is used in my country.

You mean the product Mathematica? Your degree will use it in your math studies?

jedishrfu said:
You mean the product Mathematica?
I don't think this is what he means. Based on his user name, he speaks Spanish, in which "mathematics" is "Matemáticas," which I believe he has translated as Mathematica. That's my guess.

Likes jedishrfu
Ok that makes sense. I was conflating the programming language with the mathematics in Spanish

1. What are the most essential programming languages for a BS Math student to learn?

The most essential programming languages for a BS Math student to learn are Python, R, MATLAB, Java, and C++. These languages are widely used in mathematical modeling, data analysis, and scientific computing.

2. Why is Python considered a necessary language for BS Math students?

Python is considered a necessary language for BS Math students because it is easy to learn, has a simple syntax, and is highly versatile. It also has a large library of mathematical and scientific packages, making it useful for various applications in the field of mathematics.

3. Is it important to learn R for a BS Math student?

Yes, it is important for a BS Math student to learn R as it is specifically designed for statistical computing and data analysis. It has a wide range of statistical functions and packages, making it a valuable tool for analyzing and visualizing data.

4. Do BS Math students need to learn MATLAB?

Yes, BS Math students should learn MATLAB as it is a powerful language for numerical computing and data visualization. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific research, making it highly relevant for BS Math students.

5. Is it necessary for BS Math students to learn Java and C++?

While not as essential as the previously mentioned languages, it is still beneficial for BS Math students to learn Java and C++. These languages are commonly used in scientific computing, and knowing them can help students understand and implement more complex algorithms and data structures.