1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Need a Classical Mechanics book that covers these topics

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    I'm a freshman in Computer Engineering at a university. I have a Classical Mechanics course that will cover these topics:

Newton's law of motion
    Vector Algebra
    Equilibrium of bodies
    Plane Trusses
    First moment of area, centroid, etc.
    Calculation of virtual displacement and virtual work
    Work-energy theorem, principle of conservation of energy, principles of momentum, etc.
    Dynamics of rigid bodies

My only other experience with physics is my honors physics class in high school around 3 years ago. Should I just be looking for a general college physics textbook or do I need something more specific? As far as math skills, I'm currently taking a Calculus 1 course.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2
    Ohanian's "Physics for Scientists and engineers" 3rd edition covers it.

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4
    I highly recommend Savov for your purpose
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/

There is a good preview available here - I think you will like it. It is a great book.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Aug 7, 2016 #5
    Wow, this seems perfect for me! I can hit two birds with one stone as well. Thanks!

7. Aug 8, 2016 #6
    You can check Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics " its one of the best we got in classical mechanics!

8. Aug 8, 2016 #7

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I doubt that Goldstein is the right book, given the list of topics and the OP's background.

9. Aug 8, 2016 #8
    Well for some topics you are right it isn't!!

10. Aug 8, 2016 #9
  11. Aug 8, 2016 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think "Plane trusses" is covered by Ohanian, Savov, or Goldstein.
    I don't think "virtual displacement and virtual work" is covered by Ohanian or Savov.
    These two topics, plus the rest of the listed topics, are treated in an "Engineering Mechanics"-type textbook.
    If you are looking for a text that treats the other topics listed, then you could consider what has been suggested... although I agree with the other recent posts that Goldstein is probably not appropriate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted