1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a definition of Translation

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

Having a little difficulty. I have to revise Translation and rotation of a rigid body. But I don't know what is meant by translation of a rigid body. Rotation is obvious.

I am guessing that it is the movement of a rigid body from one place to another. The best way I can explain what I think it is in the simplest form is if you have a spanner on a table, and you slide it from one side of the table to the other keeping the same orientation?

Kind regards

Rob

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds good to me.

There's even a wiki page on this: Translation (physics)

It's often useful to describe the motion of a rigid body as a translation of its center of mass plus a rotation about its center of mass.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Thank you Doc Al, I wish I could have found that.

Some things seem so obvious and are second nature if you did a physics or Maths A level which I didn't, Unfortunately they let me onto my degree on personality and enthusiasm for learning.

Kind regards

Rob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook