Need a definition of Translation

In summary, translation of a rigid body refers to the movement of the body from one place to another while maintaining the same orientation. It is often described as the translation of the body's center of mass combined with a rotation about its center of mass. This concept may seem obvious to those with a background in physics or mathematics, but may be unfamiliar to those without.
Rob K
Hi there,

Having a little difficulty. I have to revise Translation and rotation of a rigid body. But I don't know what is meant by translation of a rigid body. Rotation is obvious.

I am guessing that it is the movement of a rigid body from one place to another. The best way I can explain what I think it is in the simplest form is if you have a spanner on a table, and you slide it from one side of the table to the other keeping the same orientation?

Kind regards

Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
Rob K said:
The best way I can explain what I think it is in the simplest form is if you have a spanner on a table, and you slide it from one side of the table to the other keeping the same orientation?
Sounds good to me.

There's even a wiki page on this: Translation (physics)

It's often useful to describe the motion of a rigid body as a translation of its center of mass plus a rotation about its center of mass.

Thank you Doc Al, I wish I could have found that.

Some things seem so obvious and are second nature if you did a physics or Maths A level which I didn't, Unfortunately they let me onto my degree on personality and enthusiasm for learning.

Kind regards

Rob

What is the definition of translation?

Translation is the process of converting written or spoken words from one language to another, while maintaining the meaning and intent of the original text.

What is the purpose of translation?

The purpose of translation is to bridge the linguistic and cultural barriers between different languages and facilitate communication and understanding.

What are the different types of translation?

There are several types of translation, including literary translation, technical translation, legal translation, and localization. Each type requires different skills and approaches.

What qualities make a good translator?

A good translator should possess strong linguistic skills in both the source and target languages, cultural knowledge, subject-matter expertise, and the ability to accurately convey the tone and style of the original text.

What are some challenges faced by translators?

Translators may face challenges such as idiomatic expressions, cultural nuances, and technical terminology that may not have an equivalent in the target language. Translators also need to balance accuracy and fluency while maintaining the integrity of the original text.