Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a definition of Translation

  1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

    Having a little difficulty. I have to revise Translation and rotation of a rigid body. But I don't know what is meant by translation of a rigid body. Rotation is obvious.

    I am guessing that it is the movement of a rigid body from one place to another. The best way I can explain what I think it is in the simplest form is if you have a spanner on a table, and you slide it from one side of the table to the other keeping the same orientation?

    Kind regards

  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

    Doc Al

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Sounds good to me.

    There's even a wiki page on this: Translation (physics)

    It's often useful to describe the motion of a rigid body as a translation of its center of mass plus a rotation about its center of mass.
  4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Thank you Doc Al, I wish I could have found that.

    Some things seem so obvious and are second nature if you did a physics or Maths A level which I didn't, Unfortunately they let me onto my degree on personality and enthusiasm for learning.

    Kind regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Need a definition of Translation