Need a material -- stiff like broom bristles, long, impact resistant

In summary: It sounds to me like you are trying to measure something that batters are doing. We both know that this is possibly way of base. Please help.
Lee Cumbie
I have a project for my softball team and I need a material, probably a plastic, that is stiff enough to stand vertically for 24-36", yet thin like a broom bristle and can take impact. I don't want to damage the bats or break the bristles!
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lee Cumbie said:
I have a project for my softball team and I need a material, probably a plastic, that is stiff enough to stand vertically for 24-36", yet thin like a broom bristle and can take impact. I don't want to damage the bats or break the bristles!
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about the application? Is it for a batting Tee or sometning? Does it need to be the same material all the way up from the ground, or would a support structure with a short broom on top work too?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about the application? Is it for a batting Tee or sometning? Does it need to be the same material all the way up from the ground, or would a support structure with a short broom on top work too?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, it is a variation on a batting tee so the material would need to be anywhere a swinging bat might hit it. I guess the base support could extend up for 12-16" without getting in the way. Optimally, the strands would be sandwiched between the bat and the ball at impact.

Lee Cumbie said:
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, it is a variation on a batting tee so the material would need to be anywhere a swinging bat might hit it. I guess the base support could extend up for 12-16" without getting in the way. Optimally, the strands would be sandwiched between the bat and the ball at impact.
What are your design goals that need you to design something other than a traditional adjustable batting Tee? You just need it to be able to take a higher impulse from adults who swing under the ball a bit too far?

http://probaseballinsider.com/wp-co...ee-for-baseball-top-5-Tanner-Tees_300x200.jpg
Best-batting-tee-for-baseball-top-5-Tanner-Tees_300x200.jpg

A vertical air jet will support a ball.

I very much like Berkemans response. This has all the earmarks of a fascinating project. At the best we need to know exactly what it is you are thinking of. At the minimum it would be very helpful if we knew what you are attempting to do, What variables need to be worked within, and what critical elements have to be met.
It sounds to me like you are trying to measure something that batters ae doing. We both know that this is possibly way of base. Please help.

Baluncore said:
Knuckeball batting practice! :smile:

Baluncore said:
And include an automatic feeder! I am so going to patent that!

36" tig welding rods might work but what about a broom? Cut it to length, put a point on the end and pound it into the ground. A push broom that also has a threaded hole on the top might offer interesting options also.

I once nearly impaled my head on some rebar so be careful about introducing pole or spike like objects where people are running around.

Likes berkeman
Lee Cumbie said:
Optimally, the strands would be sandwiched between the bat and the ball at impact.

Can you explain in more detail why this is an element in your preferred design?

1. What are some materials that are stiff and impact resistant?

Materials that are commonly known for their stiffness and impact resistance include carbon fiber, Kevlar, fiberglass, and titanium.

2. Can broom bristles be used as a material for stiffness and impact resistance?

While broom bristles are stiff, they are not typically considered to be impact resistant. They are more likely to bend or break under pressure.

3. Are there any natural materials that can be used for stiffness and impact resistance?

Some natural materials that can be used for stiffness and impact resistance include bamboo, wood composites, and natural rubber.

4. How can I determine the impact resistance of a material?

The impact resistance of a material can be determined through testing, such as drop tests or impact tests, which measure the amount of force a material can withstand before breaking or deforming.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing a material for stiffness and impact resistance?

In addition to stiffness and impact resistance, it is important to also consider the weight, cost, and availability of a material when choosing the best option for your specific needs.