Our New Resident: A Nephila Clavipes

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary: I live they're only a mild annoyance, but where I used to live they were huge and could kill a cat... so I'm glad they're not in my area anymore. :tongue2::smile:Oh man... I am so glad that buggers don't live near... where I live they're only a mild annoyance, but where I used to live they were huge and could kill a cat... so I'm glad they're not in my area anymore. :tongue2:
Redbelly98 said:
Charlotte is a good female spider name.

nismaratwork said:
Heh, that was my only serious suggestion for a name in this entire thread, back on page 1. :-p
Oops, missed that post.

Astronuc said:
As spiders go, that's the equivalent of Ashley, Britney, Courtney, and those other overused top 10 names.

Find something distinctive.

Ahem! I shall back up my claim by referring to the literature...

[PLAIN]http://www.personal.psu.edu/amt5097/blogs/lled_402_reading_diaries/charlott.gif[/CENTER]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
How about... "eight legged death with dripping fangs", or "Eldwdf", which in a nod to Jared... kinda looks Welsh!

My vote goes to Eldwdf (whatever it means) purely because it "kinda looks Welsh!"

Does she like to drink?

Newai said:
Does she like to drink?

Nah, but I bet the lizard that fell out of the tree had downed a few! :smile:

They say alcohol ruins lives...

jarednjames said:
Nah, but I bet the lizard that fell out of the tree had downed a few! :smile:

They say alcohol ruins lives...

HA!

And good on you for supporting the Welsh-ish name. :biggrin:

You know... it occurs to me, spiders do "drink" their prey...

Did I mention how much these things get to me? Have I? :cry:

I'm a 6'1" 195 lb man and I scream like a little girl when I see a spider. I don't have any other phobias, and hell, I even realize that spiders are some of the most beneficial insects on earth. That said, RUN D H, run for your life! Forget the wife and kids, they're lost to you, just ruuuuuuuun!

nismaratwork said:
That said, RUN D H, run for your life! Forget the wife and kids, they're lost to you, just ruuuuuuuun!

Everyman for himself I take it!

I woke up this morning and found a spider had built a web right across the kitchen and was sat proudly in the middle. Not impressed. Swiftly evicted the new tenant and demolished his property (I don't remember giving him planning permission for a web of death across my kitchen).

I just don't know where they all come from, house is shiny clean when I go to bed, get up in the morning to a spider inside and about 6 scattered across each window on the outside. They're taking over I tell you, they'll get us all! :eek: