Need a reccomendation for a good video about evolution.

In summary, there is a disagreement between the speaker and their Christian girlfriend about the existence of evolution. The girlfriend is anti-evolution and the speaker is pro-evolution. The speaker suggests a compromise where they both try to understand the other's perspective. The speaker asks for recommendations for an unbiased explanation of evolution that addresses common arguments from creationists. Suggestions include books by Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and educational videos from sources such as Khan Academy and Potholer54. The speaker also suggests taking the time to learn about the science of evolution together.
pergradus
My girlfriend is christian and completely denies the existence of evolution. She's always reading or watching anti-evolution books and movies, and doesn't seem to actually understand what the theory of evolution is about or claims.

I, on the other hand, do accept evolution. She wants me to go with her to an apologetics lecture, and in return I want her to watch something with me that will really explain to her what the theory of evolution claims, from an unbiased perspective and in such a way that doesn't bash religion or go into the issue of God.

Preferably something that addresses some of the common arguments of creationists.

Anyone know a good one?

Biology news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
If she likes reading, I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCWY4/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Richard Dawkins.

Thanks but I would never recommend Dawkins to her... he is way too bitter and often can be downright insulting. I need something with a very much less biased tone...

Last edited by a moderator:
pergradus said:
Thanks but I would never recommend Dawkins to her... he is way too bitter and often can be downright insulting. I need something with a very much less biased tone...

Some of his work is insulting (if you find blunt statements about reality insulting...). This book is not. It goes over much of the evidence for evolution, and specifically addresses many common creationist claims, all at a lay-person's level. If I remember right (it's been a while since I read it), he doesn't directly address theism vs. atheism instead sticking to evolution vs. creation. Maybe you could read it first and see if it's too offensive for her? It's an excellent read even for those of who already understand evolution.

I doubt you'll find much that specifically addresses creationist claims that some creationists won't find offensive.

Maybe listen to Dawkins first

especially about the "design errors" starting at 17:45

How about Darwin's papers on evolution...?

Dont be scared of offending her. Many religious people will get offended whenever religion is brought up outside of the usual context (i.e. church).

And if she will get offended by Dawkins, maybe reconsider the relationship, though it isn't for me to say.

I would suggest, instead of trying to teach her evolution, start to give some interest in science - history of science, how scientific theories are evolved etc.
Carl sagan's cosmos would be a good start.

It is hard to dislike Carl Sagan.

Have her read through http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/index.shtml" .

Though I also endorse Dawkins' book greatest show on earth, if you can convince her to read it--It is really good on the science of evolution and steers clear of his sometimes attacks on religion.

I think the best fit for you is this: (from the Khan Academy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcjgWov7mTM"

It might seem childish, but I think it is exactly to the point, fun, good for a beginner (even a child can understand what he says) and it makes no reference to religion.

Also, the first books of Dawkins like The Selfish Gene could be good. It's been years since since I read it, but from what I remember although there are some puns against religion, there is no outright assault.

1. What is the best video for explaining evolution?

The best video for explaining evolution will depend on your personal preferences and the level of detail you are looking for. Some popular options include "The Evolution of Life on Earth" by Stated Clearly, "What is Evolution?" by Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell, and "Evidence for Evolution" by Crash Course.

2. Are there any videos that provide a comprehensive overview of evolution?

Yes, there are many videos that provide a comprehensive overview of evolution. Some options include "Evolution: The Evidence" by the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, "The Complete History of the Earth" by Discovery UK, and "The Story of Human Evolution" by PBS Eons.

3. Are there any recommended videos for children to learn about evolution?

Yes, there are several videos geared towards children that explain the concept of evolution in a fun and engaging way. Some options include "Evolution for Kids" by SciShow Kids, "The Evolution of Life on Earth" by National Geographic Kids, and "Evolution Explained for Kids" by Kids Learning Tube.

4. Do any videos address common misconceptions about evolution?

Yes, there are videos that specifically address common misconceptions about evolution. Some examples include "Top 10 Misconceptions About Evolution" by WatchMojo, "The Misconceptions of Darwinism" by MinuteEarth, and "5 Myths About Evolution" by SciShow.

5. Are there any videos that discuss the evidence for evolution?

Yes, there are many videos that discuss the evidence for evolution, including "The Evidence for Evolution" by Stated Clearly, "The Evidence for Evolution" by Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell, and "Evidence of Evolution" by Crash Course.