Need a way to collect voltage from a constant source

This would not be a very efficient setup, but it would be interesting.In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help on how to collect energy from a constant 1 volt source that will not diminish during use. The person is seeking advice on how to interconnect the collectors and have the voltage add up. They have provided some vague information about using capacitors and a circuit diagram, but have not specified what their exact voltage source is. Some suggestions have been made, such as using a transformer or a Joule Thief circuit, but it is difficult to give a precise solution without more information. The conversation ends with someone suggesting the use of separate containers for the electrolyte to potentially solve the issue.
Hasan Khalil
Say I have a constant source of 1 volt that will not diminish in volts during use and would like to collect that energy how would I do it. I have been trying To figure this out for the past month and source really appreciate some help. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hasan Khalil said:
Say I have a constant source of 1 volt that will not diminish in volts during use and would like to collect that energy how would I do it. I have been trying To figure this out for the past month and source really appreciate some help. Thanks
Why not just use the voltage source? Why go through some intermediate step of wasting energy while converting it to another form or a different voltage level only to have more waste when using it from the new source?

phinds said:
Why not just use the voltage source? Why go through some intermediate step of wasting energy while converting it to another form or a different voltage level only to have more waste when using it from the new source?
So for every collector in the source I receive 1 volt but the trick is when I interconnect the collectors I still receive that one volt. I would like to know a way to interconnect them and have the voltage add up.

Hasan Khalil said:
So for every collector in the source I receive 1 volt but the trick is when I interconnect the collectors I still receive that one volt. I would like to know a way to interconnect them and have the voltage add up.
This is all very vague. Please tell us what it is that you are really trying to do.

So I have a source that produces 1 volt of electricity. I have several electrode pairs put into this source. My multimeter shows that each of these pairs has one volt but I would like to interconnect this pair to say get two volts with two pairs interconnected. I could draw it out for u if it helps. Thanks

Thing is when I connect these electrodes I still only get one volt

IMG_2694.JPG

Is this what you're looking for (series and parallel circuits):

160104-difference-between-series-and-parallel-02.jpg

Thank you I will try this tonight and let you know how it worked out

I tried wiring in Series but it did not work

Hasan Khalil said:
I tried wiring in Series but it did not work
Since it's hard to tell what you are talking about, you need to post a circuit diagram showing exactly what you are doing. In your initial post, you talk about having "a" source. Does this mean you really only have a single source?

I have a feeling I may need to attach capacitors to my electrodes because the electricity is just going straight back into the source but if I use capacitors it will act like a battery and then I should be able to connect the in series. Any thoughts on this

Yes it's a single source

I'll make a circuit diagram an I will send it to u

Hasan Khalil said:
Yes it's a single source

As has already been asked a couple of times with no clarification from you

WHAT is your voltage source ?

You are getting poor responses because you are giving poor information
You need to help us with good info so that the people here can help you. Else we are all just guessing on what you are doing

IMG_2703.JPG

Huh? Just connect them in series as has already been said. It's trivial.

So, I'm having trouble getting past the OP:
Hasan Khalil said:
Do you understand that voltage isn't energy (or power)? And that many energy sources have a certain power output they are capable of, which means that when you harvest the energy the voltage goes down?

Also, it kind of looks like you are trying to multiply the energy from one source, as if you could add additional connections to a 1.5V battery to wire it in series with itself and increase the voltage. That doesn't work.

But all of this remains vague, since you won't tell us what the source is...

So: what is your energy source?

Likes davenn
Hasan Khalil said:
pretty diagram, but it still doesn't answer my question

one more time ...

WHAT is your voltage source ?

Be VERY specific ...
is it a device ... what / make and model

Likes russ_watters
No matter what your source is:
  • if you have a single source;
  • if you have a constant 1 volt between each pair of electrodes, no matter how many pairs you have;
Then it is because the pairs of electrodes are all connected in parallel with the source.

The only way to convert 1 volt into 2 volts is to use a transformer between your source and your electrodes.

Likes russ_watters
I think you may be able to achieve some sort of desired result with a circuit known as a Joule Thief. You can look that up and see if it will work for you.

It's a shame that the OP is not a bit more forthcoming about this. It strikes me that he's got a set of voltaic cells that are sharing the same bath of electrolyte.
Car batteries have 2V cells and 6 totally separate containers of acids. He may have a solution if he uses more containers for his liquid - whatever it is.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
It's a shame that the OP is not a bit more forthcoming about this. It strikes me that he's got a set of voltaic cells that are sharing the same bath of electrolyte.
Car batteries have 2V cells and 6 totally separate containers of acids. He may have a solution if he uses more containers for his liquid - whatever it is.
If that is indeed what the OP wants to do, then I misunderstood. Effectively the electrodes connected in "series" are shorting out, and only the first and last electrode would provide a path (through the electrolyte).

Likes sophiecentaur
I actually just checked to see if anything new was on this forum and the funny thing is what you suggested is exactly what I did this morning what a coincidence. Thanks for contributing tho.

I created an insulation around my electrodes

Hasan Khalil said:
I actually just checked to see if anything new was on this forum and the funny thing is what you suggested is exactly what I did this morning what a coincidence. Thanks for contributing tho.
Is that the Joule Thief circuit, you are referring to? Or are you using an electrolyte, and separate into compartments?

The screenshot mentions an AC source. That would seem to exclude all batteries.

Likes Nidum
willem2 said:
The screenshot mentions an AC source. That would seem to exclude all batteries.
That confused me too. I sort of ignored it, in the absence of any serious description of the equipment.

I wonder why people assume that everyone knows what they are talking about when they want help.
If we only had :
"I am trying to do an experiment with the following equipment . . . . . . . . in order to achieve . . . . . . . . .. Here is a diagram of my setup . . . . . . . ."
And we would have been cooking on gas on the very second post of the thread.

Likes Averagesupernova
Categorize under " A question well asked..."

Likes sophiecentaur
Maybe, instead of electrochemical sources, we are dealing with many rectifiers, connected to the same AC source. Exactly the same thing applies when there is a 'shared' Ground.
Pleeeeease, OP, tell us some more details. I am losing sleep over this one. :frown:

1. What is the purpose of collecting voltage from a constant source?

The purpose of collecting voltage from a constant source is to measure and monitor the electrical potential difference between two points. This can be used to power devices, analyze circuits, and troubleshoot electrical systems.

2. How can I collect voltage from a constant source?

There are various methods for collecting voltage from a constant source, such as using a voltmeter, multimeter, or oscilloscope. These devices are designed to measure and display voltage readings accurately.

3. Can I collect voltage from any type of constant source?

Yes, voltage can be collected from any type of constant source, including batteries, power supplies, and solar panels. However, the method of collection may vary depending on the specific source and the equipment being used.

4. Is it safe to collect voltage from a constant source?

Collecting voltage from a constant source can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to use insulated and appropriate equipment, follow safety protocols, and avoid coming into direct contact with live wires.

5. How accurate are the voltage readings collected from a constant source?

The accuracy of voltage readings collected from a constant source depends on the precision and calibration of the measuring equipment being used. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain the equipment to ensure accurate readings.