Need an odorless additive that can to turn liquid into solid

In summary, the conversation is about finding a compound that can be added to liquid, particularly urine, to solidify it without affecting its original scent. The suggested solutions include using plaster of paris, calcium sulfate hemihydrate, anhydrous magnesium sulfate, or finely divided sodium sulfate. These compounds are commonly used in chemistry to sequester water and are considered safe. The conversation also mentions patented solutions and the possibility of needing professional assistance.
ahelpinghand
I would like to know of any compound that I can use to add to a liquid that can turn it into a solid. I would like the liquid to be air drying and form a solid but slightly fragile structure. Almost semi-brittle, where if hit or crushed, small pieces of crystals would break off. Is there such a thing?

Edited- I am looking to solidify Urine. (don't want to go into details further)

Could i add sucrose and heat for this purpose?Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any liquid? Nope.

Sounds like gelatine.
It is a bit hard to keep it dry, but that's another story...

Updated- Not any liquid, particularly urine. I need the urine to retain its original scent but be able to be solidified as described.

That's even harder to keep dry: especially since at the end everybody will try to mop it up/away.
But I think (freeze-dried) gelatine should work to a certain extent.

Likes ahelpinghand
For hunting and photography deer pee and predator pee:
https://www.bonecollector.com/deer-scents-guide-deer-scents/
with some limited discussion.

If you gave us a clue about what you are really trying to do, there are lots of very helpful folks here.

Urine is pretty much the same thing as water with some salts added, and some other volatile scent components. Sort of dual purpose: territory marking, plus excretion of waste products - all in one package. If you have "patent" in the back of your mind, good luck.

Likes ahelpinghand and BillTre
Use plaster of paris or calcium sulfate hemihydrate. You will need to add 3X plaster to the weight of urine. Alternatively you could add anhydrous magnesium sulfate or finely divided sodium sulfate. The amounts of these last two are for you to determine. Sodium sulfate is less available than plaster but it does form the decahydrate so it should be fairly efficient. All the amines and sulfides will remain as a ppt on the surface of the nascent hydrate mineral and should be unaffected. The hydration reaction (drying) is fairly exothermic so it is best that it is done in thin layers rather than in bulk (like in a bucket).

Likes ahelpinghand
Chemists use these compounds routinely to sequester water in their workups of chemical reactions, so they are very common, well-known and safe!

By the way, I usually get paid for solving problems like this for people just like you. Consider this a gift from the Forums and if this has been any help to you, please consider a membership to the site.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thank you all! @jim mcnamara patent is not on my mind but this patent listing does help! @chemisttree thank you very much and I will definitely be remembering the help of this forum in the future! thank you!

What is the purpose of an odorless additive that can turn liquid into solid?

An odorless additive that can turn liquid into solid is commonly used in industries such as food, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals to improve the texture, stability, and shelf life of products. It can also be used in scientific experiments or processes that require the transformation of a liquid substance into a solid form.

What are some common types of odorless additives that can turn liquid into solid?

Some commonly used odorless additives that can turn liquid into solid include gelatin, agar, pectin, and carrageenan. These additives are derived from natural sources such as plants and animals and are considered safe for consumption.

How does an odorless additive turn liquid into solid?

The process of turning liquid into solid using an odorless additive is called gelling or setting. The additive works by binding the liquid molecules together, creating a network or matrix that traps the liquid and solidifies it. This process is often reversible, meaning the solid can turn back into a liquid when heated or exposed to certain conditions.

Are there any potential health risks associated with using an odorless additive that can turn liquid into solid?

Generally, odorless additives that can turn liquid into solid are considered safe for consumption. However, some individuals may have allergies or sensitivities to certain additives, so it is important to read labels and consult with a healthcare professional if necessary. It is also important to follow recommended usage and dosage guidelines to avoid any potential health risks.

Can an odorless additive that can turn liquid into solid be used in any type of liquid?

The effectiveness of an odorless additive in turning liquid into solid may vary depending on the type of liquid it is added to. Some liquids may require specific types of additives or may not solidify at all. It is best to research and test the compatibility of the additive with the desired liquid before use.