Where Can I Find Detailed Wind Speed Data on a Small Time Scale?

In summary, detailed wind speed data on a small time scale can be found through various sources such as weather stations, government agencies, and online databases. These data can provide accurate and up-to-date information on wind speeds for specific locations, allowing for better understanding and prediction of weather patterns. Additionally, specialized equipment such as anemometers can be used to collect wind speed data at a more precise and localized level.
BasketDaN
I've been searching the internet far and wide but cannot seem to the wind speed information I want. I need a graph or table of wind speed vs. time, where the time scale is very small, on the order of seconds. I did find one graph here; http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bmx/significant_events/research/February_22_1998/evergreen.php to give you an idea of what it is I'm looking for, but that just isn't enough I'm afraid.

Anybody happen to know where I could find more of that?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://weather.unisys.com/surface/index.html" is probably your best bet and is as good as your going to get. Getting even adequate wind data over periods of hours let alone seconds is a very difficult and expensive ordeal. If you want reliable data over a period of seconds your probably going to have to measure it yourself.

EDIT: This is my 666th post...creepy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, creepy indeed.

But re-reading that link I posted, I don't even thinK THAT contains the data I need! I mis-read... the data that has is 1 minute average wind speeds, not instantaneous wind speeds FOR 1 minute. Ugh.

1. What is wind speed data and why is it important?

Wind speed data refers to the measurement of the speed at which air moves over a particular area. It is important for a variety of reasons, including understanding weather patterns, predicting wind energy potential, and assessing potential impacts on structures and transportation.

2. How is wind speed data collected?

Wind speed data is typically collected using an anemometer, which is a device that measures the speed and direction of the wind. This data can also be collected from weather stations or satellites.

3. What factors can affect wind speed data?

Several factors can affect wind speed data, including topography, surface roughness, and land use. These factors can impact the flow of air and cause variations in wind speed measurements.

4. How is wind speed data used in research and analysis?

Wind speed data is used in various scientific research and analysis, such as climate change studies, air quality monitoring, and renewable energy resource assessments. It can also be used in engineering projects to determine the structural integrity of buildings.

5. Can wind speed data be inaccurate?

Yes, wind speed data can be inaccurate due to various factors, such as malfunctioning equipment, poor placement of anemometers, or interference from nearby objects. It is essential to regularly calibrate and maintain equipment to ensure accurate wind speed data.