Need Electrical Help After Storm - Advice Needed

In summary, a bad storm caused lightning to hit outside and take out electricity in most of the upstairs, with two bedrooms completely without power. The breaker box should be grounded, but it is located above the sump pump in the wettest part of the basement. It is recommended to wear rubber boots when checking the breakers. The NEW tv, DVD, cable box, and DSL modem are not working, despite being plugged into a surge protector. It is possible that a surge came through the cable and affected the digital electronics. The computer and monitor, also plugged into a surge protector, are working fine, but the modem is not. It is suggested to check if the working and non-working appliances share a common power supply. It is also recommended
Ivan Seeking said:
Store bought surge protectors are next to worthless. A quality industrial device for the same electrical load may cost $500 - $1000. But, sometimes the power strips are better than nothing.
Depends if you're buying a power strip or a surge protector. Admittedly, even if you buy a true surge protector from the local Target or Walmart, I wouldn't want to depend on one to protect against a lightning strike. But they do work very well to protect against poorly regulated electricity - probably rarely come into play in a modern city, but valuable if your area doesn't have a good electrical infrastructure.

I managed to toast a surge protector while I was in Italy. I had a transformer to convert from the 220-50 to 110-60 (the little pocket plug adaptors just don't work for CD players, computers, etc). We also had some pretty unpredictable electricity. Came 'home' and all the lights looked like they had 10 Watt bulbs. Evidently, that put quite a strain on the transformer because when they fixed the electricity and full power came back, the transformer and the surge protector were both fried. The inside of a toasted surge protector is a pretty awesome sight - especially when all the appliances connected to it were unharmed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I always unplug electrical devices when a thunderstorm is near or when I'm out for a few days, even though they are plugged into surge protectors. Reading all this I'm glad I do :eek:

I hope you are able to save some of the appliances by getting someone to fix them :frown:

Evo said:
I wish my dad was still alive, he could explain this.

Have you thought in looking for a cute boyfriend expertise in electricity and housing arrangement stuffs?? :biggrin:

I think I'm going to try and get of the habit of what Monique does. At least for the more expensive items.
I'm lucky enough to have a elder neighbor lady, who will come sit and wait for the cable guy for me.

Monique said:
I always unplug electrical devices when a thunderstorm is near or when I'm out for a few days, even though they are plugged into surge protectors. Reading all this I'm glad I do :eek:

I don't do this with everything, but definitely the expensive stuff. Not that I own much expensive stuff. Pretty much as long as my computer is disconnected, I'm okay (I have a laptop with a spare battery, so can work for about 8 hours without needing to plug it in; that covers all the usual summertime, late day thunderstorms). I take my chances that I'll fry my airport, but that's in the price range where I won't sit and cry if I have to replace it. Even with surge protectors, I replace the one in my home office every few years (the one the printer/fax and scanner are plugged into, and I run a phone cord through if I ever need to connect direct my modem rather than via wireless). The old one gets used the way I'd use a power strip, for wherever I need to plug in some extra lamps, etc. I think they are only guaranteed for a certain amount of time, so I replace them every so often. I also have a small one that has just one outlet on it and a phone jack, which I use for when I travel. I don't know if it is truly reliable, but I figure it's better than nothing when on the road.

Moonbear said:
:rofl:

I don't know, Evo, I think you should request a demo model before buying electron decoys in bulk.
I already ordered 2 dozen of zooby's electron decoys. Per the instructions on his website, I listed all of my credit card numbers, debit card pin number, social security and driver's license numbers and fed ex'd a book of blank checks to the PO Box he listed. I can't wait to get my electron decoys. :approve:

Moonbear said:
He might say they're all beautifully handcrafted electron decoys, and then you'll get them and discover they all look like proton decoys, and before you know it, more electrons than ever before will be flooding into your house attempting to mate with the proton decoys.
Zooby, these come with a "money back guarantee"...right? :redface:

Clausius, you are welcome to stop by and help with repairs. :tongue2:

Astronuc - I have GFI also, and the outlets on those are ok.

Chronos - Good suggestions!

Monique and hypatia, unplugging is a very good idea. I often do that. Unfortunately this storm moved in quickly and the lightning strike was at the very beginning just as a few rain drops started. :frown:

Well crud. I bought a new ethernet cord and the cord is fine, it appears that the ethernet card itself is fried. :frown:

Evo said:
Well crud. I bought a new ethernet cord and the cord is fine, it appears that the ethernet card itself is fried. :frown:
You could go to the start menu, run . . . cmd, and then type in "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all", and see if you get any info or an error. I am not sure what error you would get if your card is fried.

Alternatively the system manager should tell you if your card is working properly.

poor Evo..

"It just goes to show, its aways something"
Roseanna Roseannadanna