How do I show that A is not diagonalizable?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix A and showing that it is not diagonalizable. The person is having trouble finding the roots of the polynomial equation and is discussing their approach with others. It is suggested that there may be an error in their calculations and after further discussion, it is determined that there may be a typo in the original question.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
?!? (need help as soon as possible, thx)

Ok, what am I doing wrong with that? It's the second problem like this with which I arrive at an absurdity.. Essentially I must show that A is not diagonalizable. So I want to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and show that there are not enough eigenvectors to diagonalize A. To ease the calculations, I am told that -1 is an eigenvalue.

[tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 1 & 0 \\
2 & 1 & -2 \\ -1 & 0 & -2 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

I must find the roots of the 3rd degree polynomial equation expressed by [itex]det(A-\lambda I)=0[/itex]. Let us develop that determinant according the 2nd column. We have

[tex]det(A-\lambda I) = \sum_{i=1}^3 (-1)^{i+2}a'_{i2}det((A-\lambda I)_{i2}) = - \left| \begin{array}{cc} 2 & -2 \\ -1 & -2-\lambda \end{array} \right| + (1-\lambda)\left| \begin{array}{cc} 2-\lambda & 0 \\ -1 & -2-\lambda \end{array} \right|[/tex]
[tex]= -[(2)(-2-\lambda)-(-2)(-1)]+(1-\lambda)[(2-\lambda)(-2-\lambda)] = (2\lambda + 6) + (1-\lambda)(\lambda^2 -4)[/tex]
[tex] = -\lambda^3 + \lambda^2 -2\lambda + 2 [/tex]

For which of course -1 is not a root!

The final exam is tomorrow, so thanks for your quick replies! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, it looks like you've made an error in finding the characteristic polynomial. In your second to last equality, you replaced [tex](2-\lambda)(-2-\lambda)[/tex] with [tex](-2\lambda -4)[/tex]. This still won't make -1 a root though.

Is it possible there's a typo in the question?

According to Derive, A doesn't have an eigenvalue of -1...

grr.. well alright, thanks guys.

Related to How do I show that A is not diagonalizable?

1. What is your area of expertise?

I am a scientist with a specialization in [insert specific area of expertise here]. I have extensive knowledge and experience in this field and am always eager to learn more.

2. How do you conduct your experiments and research?

I follow the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. I also use various tools and techniques specific to my field of study.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy and validity of your findings?

I use rigorous methods and controls in my experiments to minimize any potential biases or errors. I also conduct peer reviews and replicate my experiments to validate my findings.

4. How do you stay updated with the latest developments and advancements in your field?

I regularly attend conferences, read scientific journals, and collaborate with other scientists in my field to stay updated on new research and developments. I also conduct my own experiments and research to contribute to the progress of my field.

5. What inspired you to become a scientist?

I have always been curious and fascinated by the world around me. The desire to understand and explain the natural phenomena led me to pursue a career in science. I am passionate about making new discoveries and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in my field.