1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

? (need help as soon as possible, thx)

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

?!? (need help as soon as possible, thx)

Ok, what am I doing wrong with that? It's the second problem like this with which I arrive at an absurdity.. Essentially I must show that A is not diagonalizable. So I want to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and show that there are not enough eigenvectors to diagonalize A. To ease the calculations, I am told that -1 is an eigenvalue.

[tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 1 & 0 \\
    2 & 1 & -2 \\ -1 & 0 & -2 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

I must find the roots of the 3rd degree polynomial equation expressed by [itex]det(A-\lambda I)=0[/itex]. Let us develop that determinant according the 2nd column. We have

[tex]det(A-\lambda I) = \sum_{i=1}^3 (-1)^{i+2}a'_{i2}det((A-\lambda I)_{i2}) = - \left| \begin{array}{cc} 2 & -2 \\ -1 & -2-\lambda \end{array} \right| + (1-\lambda)\left| \begin{array}{cc} 2-\lambda & 0 \\ -1 & -2-\lambda \end{array} \right|[/tex]
    [tex]= -[(2)(-2-\lambda)-(-2)(-1)]+(1-\lambda)[(2-\lambda)(-2-\lambda)] = (2\lambda + 6) + (1-\lambda)(\lambda^2 -4)[/tex]
    [tex] = -\lambda^3 + \lambda^2 -2\lambda + 2 [/tex]

For which of course -1 is not a root!

The final exam is tomorrow, so thanks for your quick replies! :smile:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, it looks like you've made an error in finding the characteristic polynomial. In your second to last equality, you replaced [tex](2-\lambda)(-2-\lambda)[/tex] with [tex](-2\lambda -4)[/tex]. This still won't make -1 a root though.

Is it possible there's a typo in the question?

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3
    According to Derive, A doesn't have an eigenvalue of -1...

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

grr.. well alright, thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?