Need Help with Exam Prep - E-field and Electric Flux Problems

• Thread starter matt4u
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation involves two questions about electricity and electric fields. The first question asks about the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center of a quarter circle made from a 2.0 cm wire with a linear charge density of 4.0 micro C/m. The second question involves a conical megaphone in a uniform electric field of strength 200N/C and asks for the electric flux through the megaphone in two different scenarios. The first scenario involves the megaphone being upright and the second involves it being tilted by 90 degrees. The solutions involve using equations to calculate the electric field and flux.
matt4u
Need urgent Help - Exam tomorrow

Homework Statement

question 1: A 2.0 cm piece of wire with a linear charge density 4.0 micro C/m is bent into a quarter circle. a) what is magnitude and direction of the E-field at the center of the curvature? b) what's the distance from the wire to the center of the curvature?

question 2: A conical megaphone sits in a uniform electric field of strength 200N/C. a) if the megaphone is 1.00 m tall with the large hole measuring 0.50 m in diameter and the small hole measure 8.00 cm in diameter, what is the electric flux through the megaphone? b) what is the flux if it is tilted by 90 degrees?

Please help me guys...really appreciate it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1: a) The magnitude of the electric field at the center of the curvature is zero because the electric field of any two opposite charges cancel each other out. b) The distance from the wire to the center of the curvature is equal to the radius of the quarter circle which is equal to 1 cm. Question 2: a) The electric flux through the megaphone is given by the equation Φ = EA, where E is the strength of the electric field (200N/C) and A is the area of the megaphone (2πr(h + r), where h is the height of the megaphone and r is the radius of the large hole). Therefore, the electric flux is Φ = 200N/C * (2π(0.5m)(1.0m + 0.5m)) = 6283.18N/C. b) If the megaphone is tilted by 90 degrees, the electric flux is zero because the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the megaphone.

1. What are some effective study tips for preparing for an exam tomorrow?

Some effective study tips for preparing for an exam tomorrow include creating a study schedule, practicing active learning techniques, reviewing class notes, and getting a good night's sleep.

2. How can I manage my time effectively to study for an exam tomorrow?

To manage your time effectively, try breaking down your study material into smaller chunks and setting specific goals for each study session. Also, eliminate distractions and prioritize your study time accordingly.

3. What are some recommended methods for staying calm and focused during an exam tomorrow?

To stay calm and focused during an exam, try deep breathing exercises, positive self-talk, and avoiding last-minute cramming. It may also help to arrive early and familiarize yourself with the exam environment.

4. How can I improve my memory for information needed for an exam tomorrow?

To improve your memory, try using mnemonic devices, creating visual aids, and practicing retrieval techniques. Additionally, getting enough sleep and staying hydrated can also help with memory retention.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed and unprepared for an exam tomorrow?

If you feel overwhelmed and unprepared, try not to panic. Take a deep breath and focus on your study plan. Prioritize the most important material and try to stay positive. If necessary, reach out to your professor or a tutor for additional help and support.