Need help finding spring constant

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the spring force constant k for a 147g ball dropped from a height of 56.5cm onto a spring with a maximum displacement of 4.45393cm. The person is unsure of how to proceed with the problem and receives hints about using the change in height and conservation of energy to find the correct solution.
Mustrdhead

Homework Statement

A 147g ball is dropped from a height of 56.5cm above a spring of neglibible mass. The ball compresses the spring to a maximum displacement of 4.45393cm. The acceleration is 9.8m/s^2. calculate the spring force constant k. Answer in units of N/m.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the mass from 147g to .147kg the height from 56.5cm to .565m and the displacement from 4.45393cm to .0445393m.

Now I am stuck and don't know what to do

I tried mgh=.5kx^2 but didnt work

Physics news on Phys.org
Mustrdhead said:
I tried mgh=.5kx^2 but didnt work
What did you use for h? (You need the change in height, from initial position to final position.)

what do you mean? i used the given height of .565m

Hint: What's the change in gravitational PE? Hint 2: Measure gravitational PE from the lowest point.

so use a zero height? or use .565+.0445393?

Mustrdhead said:
or use .565+.0445393?
That's the height you need to use in that formula. This is just a consequence of conservation of energy.

Thanks you are a genius

Mustrdhead said:
Thanks you are a genius
You are very perceptive. :rofl:

1. What is a spring constant and why is it important?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is an important parameter for understanding the behavior of springs and their applications in various fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This results in a value that is expressed in units of force per unit distance, such as N/m or lbs/in. Another way to calculate the spring constant is by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by various factors such as the material of the spring, its shape and size, and the number of coils. The stiffness of the material and its size can significantly impact the spring constant. Additionally, the spring constant can also change if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit or if it is exposed to extreme temperatures.

4. How can I measure the spring constant?

There are several methods for measuring the spring constant, including using a force meter, ruler, and weights to calculate the displacement. Another way is to use a spring balance, which directly measures the force required to stretch or compress the spring. There are also computer programs and online calculators available that can help determine the spring constant.

5. Can the spring constant be changed?

Yes, the spring constant can be changed by altering the properties of the spring, such as its material, shape, and size. The spring constant can also be changed by adjusting the number of coils or by combining multiple springs in series or parallel configurations. However, once a spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, the spring constant will permanently change.