Need help finding Volume bound by curves.

In summary, the region bounded by the given curves is rotated about x = 10. Volume V of the resulting solid is found by any method.
revolve

Homework Statement

The region bounded by the given curves is rotated about x = 10

[tex]
x=1-y^{4}, x=0
[/tex]

Find the Volume V of the resulting solid by any method.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using the washer method. Not sure if it is being setup properly as I'm getting the wrong answer. I will show my integration steps if the problem is setup correctly. Thanks.

[tex]
\begin{alignl*}
1-y^{4}=0 \\ \\

y^{4}=-1 \\ \\

\Rightarrow y=\pm1 \\ \\

10^{2}-((1-y^{4}))^2 \\ \\

\pi \int_{-1}^{1} (10^{2}-((1-y^{4}))^2 dy \\ \\

= \frac{8936\pi}{45} \\
\end{alignl*}
[/tex]

Hmm can't edit my LaTex code. That integral should have Pi out front.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
10 is the outer radius alright. I don't think (1-y^4) is the inner radius, though. You are rotating the inner curve around x=10 as well. Shouldn't it be larger. Check you picture again.

Last edited:
Should the inner radius be 1+y^4 ?

No, no, no. It should be the distance between (1-y^4) and 10. Shouldn't it?

Okay, Thank you! I think I'm on the right path now. No?

[tex]

\pi \int ((10^{2}) - (10-(1-y^{4}))^{2})dy

[/tex]

Almost. I think you've got the square in the wrong place. Isn't the inner radius (10-(1-y^4))?? Shouldn't the square be on the outside?

Yeah, I must have caught that while you were posting.

I think I messed up my algebra somewhere. Could someone check over this for me? Thanks.

[tex]
\pi \; \int_{-1}^{1}{\left( 100\; -\; \left( 100+10+10y^{4}+10+1+y^{4}+10y^{4}+y^{4}+y^{8} \right) \right)}dy
[/tex]

[tex]
\pi \; \int_{-1}^{1}{\left( -21-22y^{4}-y^{8} \right)}dy
[/tex]

[tex]
\pi \; \left[ -21y\; -\frac{22y^{5}}{5}-\frac{y^{9}}{9} \right]\; from\; -1\; to\; 1
[/tex]

[tex]
\pi \; \left[ \left( -21\; -\frac{22}{5}-\frac{1}{9}\; \right)\; -\; \left( 21+\frac{22}{5}+\frac{1}{9} \right) \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
\pi \; \left( -42-\frac{44}{5}-\frac{2}{9} \right)\; =\; \pi \left( -\frac{1890}{45}-\frac{396}{45}-\frac{10}{45} \right)=\; \frac{1484\pi }{45}
[/tex]

I'm pretty sure answer should be:

[tex]
\frac{1376\pi }{45}
[/tex]

Last edited:
The integrand is just 100-(9+y^4)^2. It doesn't look to me like you expanded that correctly.

Related to Need help finding Volume bound by curves.

1. What is volume bound by curves?

Volume bound by curves refers to the space enclosed by multiple curves in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is the total amount of space within these curves, and is usually measured in cubic units.

2. How do you find the volume bound by curves?

To find the volume bound by curves, you will need to use calculus. This involves finding the integral of the function that represents the curve, and then using the limits of integration to determine the boundaries of the volume.

3. What is the difference between finding volume bound by curves and finding volume of a solid object?

While finding the volume of a solid object involves calculating the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional shape, finding volume bound by curves involves calculating the space enclosed by multiple curves in a coordinate system. In other words, volume bound by curves is a more specific type of volume calculation.

4. Can the volume bound by curves be negative?

No, the volume bound by curves cannot be negative. In mathematics, volume is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space enclosed by an object.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding volume bound by curves?

Finding volume bound by curves has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the volume of a lake or reservoir, the capacity of a container, or the amount of material needed for a curved structure.