Mastering Integrals: Tips and Tricks for Convergence and Divergence

• Thread starter JustaNickname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a theorem of integration to determine if a series is convergent or divergent. The person is struggling to solve three problems involving infinite limits and integrals, and is seeking help to understand the concept better. The conversation also mentions the use of the theorem to prove the convergence of a series.
JustaNickname
Been a long time I had my integral class so I forgot almost everything I knew... I need to integrate to see if the serie converge (limn→∞ an = 0). Thus, there is a theorem of the integral, if you evaluate the limit of the integral of a serie when it tends to the infinite minus when x=1 you can determine if the serie is convergent or divergent...

I can`t find a way to start the problems:

1. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] sin(1/x) dx
2. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] xe^(-2x) dx
3. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] 1/(1+x^(1/2)) dx

You can also dirrectly evaluate the limit when the serie tend to infinite but I haven't found any way to match with the answers... (1. Divergent 2. Convergent 3. Divergent)

The #1 when x tend to infinite, 1/x tend to zero thus sin(1/x) tend to zero also... The serie should be converging if so ??
The #2 should give me an integral like this one:

1/(-2)^2 (-2x-1)e^(-2x) + C
-1/4 * (2x+1)e^(-2x) + C

But you can see right away if you evaluate the integral that it tends to infinite which is not converging :frown:

For the two others I have no idea! Any help is welcome thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustaNickname said:
Been a long time I had my integral class so I forgot almost everything I knew... I need to integrate to see if the serie converge (limn→∞ an = 0). Thus, there is a theorem of the integral, if you evaluate the limit of the integral of a serie when it tends to the infinite minus when x=1 you can determine if the serie is convergent or divergent...

I can`t find a way to start the problems:

1. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] sin(1/x) dx
2. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] xe^(-2x) dx
3. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] 1/(1+x^(1/2)) dx

You can also dirrectly evaluate the limit when the serie tend to infinite but I haven't found any way to match with the answers... (1. Divergent 2. Convergent 3. Divergent)

The #1 when x tend to infinite, 1/x tend to zero thus sin(1/x) tend to zero also... The serie should be converging if so ??
x is not going to infinity. It is the upper limit on the integral that is going to infinity. x ranges from 1 to infinity in that integral.
The #2 should give me an integral like this one:
1/(-2)^2 (-2x-1)e^(-2x) + C
-1/4 * (2x+1)e^(-2x) + C

But you can see right away if you evaluate the integral that it tends to infinite which is not converging :frown:y

For the two others I have no idea! Any help is welcome thanks!
What you get for the integral is correct but, as t goes to infinity, it does NOT go to infinity. Why would you think it does?

For (3) let [itex]u= 1+ x^{1/2}[/itex]

Just making sure I understand you correctly (I am natively speaking french).

The serie Ʃ∞n=1 ne^(-2n) = e^-2 + 2e^(-4) + ... + ne^(-2n)

I can clearly see here the serie is decreasing and convergent because it gets closer to a number since an > an+1.

I would like to prove it with the integral theorem but I can't find a way to make the limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] xe^(-2x) dx = 0 thus converging.

Quoting my notes:

If ∫[1,∞[ f(x) is convergent <=> Ʃ∞n=1 an is convergent where an = f(x)

So the goal is to prove the integral is convergent to find out if the serie is converging.

1. How do you determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an integral is convergent or divergent, one can use various techniques such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the function being integrated as the limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit is a finite number, the integral is convergent. If the limit is infinity or does not exist, the integral is divergent.

2. What is the purpose of mastering integrals?

Mastering integrals is crucial for understanding and solving various mathematical and scientific problems. Integrals are used to find areas, volumes, and solutions to differential equations, among other applications. By mastering integrals, one can more easily and accurately solve complex problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. How can one improve their skills in mastering integrals?

Improving skills in mastering integrals involves practice, practice, and more practice. It also involves understanding the fundamental concepts, techniques, and tricks for solving integrals. Additionally, seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor can greatly improve one's skills in mastering integrals.

4. Can integrals be solved using only one method?

No, there are various methods for solving integrals, and the best method to use depends on the specific integral being solved. Some common methods include u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to be familiar with and able to use multiple methods for solving integrals.

5. How can one check the accuracy of their solution to an integral?

One way to check the accuracy of a solution to an integral is by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the derivative of an integral of a function is equal to the original function. Therefore, taking the derivative of the solution to an integral and comparing it to the original function can help determine if the solution is correct. Additionally, using online integral calculators or checking the solution with a peer or tutor can also help ensure accuracy.