1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help for three integrals

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Been a long time I had my integral class so I forgot almost everything I knew... I need to integrate to see if the serie converge (limn→∞ an = 0). Thus, there is a theorem of the integral, if you evaluate the limit of the integral of a serie when it tends to the infinite minus when x=1 you can determine if the serie is convergent or divergent...

I can`t find a way to start the problems:

1. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] sin(1/x) dx
    2. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] xe^(-2x) dx
    3. limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] 1/(1+x^(1/2)) dx

You can also dirrectly evaluate the limit when the serie tend to infinite but I haven't found any way to match with the answers... (1. Divergent 2. Convergent 3. Divergent)

The #1 when x tend to infinite, 1/x tend to zero thus sin(1/x) tend to zero also... The serie should be converging if so ?!?!
    The #2 should give me an integral like this one:

1/(-2)^2 (-2x-1)e^(-2x) + C
    -1/4 * (2x+1)e^(-2x) + C

But you can see right away if you evaluate the integral that it tends to infinite which is not converging :frown:

For the two others I have no idea! Any help is welcome thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

x is not going to infinity. It is the upper limit on the integral that is going to infinity. x ranges from 1 to infinity in that integral.
    What you get for the integral is correct but, as t goes to infinity, it does NOT go to infinity. Why would you think it does?

For (3) let [itex]u= 1+ x^{1/2}[/itex]

4. Feb 17, 2012 #3
    Just making sure I understand you correctly (I am natively speaking french).

The serie Ʃ∞n=1 ne^(-2n) = e^-2 + 2e^(-4) + ... + ne^(-2n)

I can clearly see here the serie is decreasing and convergent because it gets closer to a number since an > an+1.

I would like to prove it with the integral theorem but I can't find a way to make the limt→∞ ∫ [1, t] xe^(-2x) dx = 0 thus converging.

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4
    Quoting my notes:

If ∫[1,∞[ f(x) is convergent <=> Ʃ∞n=1 an is convergent where an = f(x)

So the goal is to prove the integral is convergent to find out if the serie is converging.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook