1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA

  1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA......

    First, thank you for clicking this thread and trying to help me. I am going to apply grad school for a PhD, but my situation now is......:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

    Let me explain. My current overall GPA is 3.24 (current Major GPA 3.67), thanks to those non-major courses (which gave me C!!!). Luckily, I still have one more year to study more courses so that I can finally discard all of my C-range courses, and end up with overall GPA 3.5+ (hopefully Major GPA by then will be 3.7+)

    I went on for exchange a year ago, so I still have several physics courses to complete, including E&M and classical mechanics. So far I have taken only ~40 credit on physics, 20-30 more to go (and this is why I'm so confident that my overall GPA will be much better than now!).

    So now I have 3 options.

    Option 1
    - Apply PG in US commencing on 2012Fall

    • Attending PhD in US on 2012Fall is my first priority
    • Enrolling PhD in one stroke would (normally) save more time than Option 2, even though no one can guarantee that..
    • Current GPA is not good enough to send me to relatively better grad school. (Stony Brook, GIT, Michigan, Colorado, UIUC, Maryland, UCSD, UCSB, U Penn, Columbia, etc.)
    • I don't know if I can get 900+ in PGRE to compensate my low GPA, now I'm only confident with getting 800+ in PGRE. (coz by the time I take PGRE I'm still learning EM and Classical Mechanics......)
    • If I am rejected by all or accepted with no ship/funding (living under porverty:uhh:), then I might just donating USD$1000+ to those physics depts and ETS

    Option 2
    - Apply MPhil in my undergrad univ. commencing on 2012Fall, after I finish my MPhil, apply for PhD in US again
    • I can keep studying on 2012Fall
    • If i first finish a MPhil then do PhD in US, I need to spend more time to reach PhD level
    • Psychologically feeling bad (don't know why)

    Option 3
    - Apply PG in US commencing on 2013Fall
    • I will have more time to prepare PGRE to get higher score
    • I can workntravel for one year in UK or Australia, gaining more experience!
    • Or maybe i can be a technician in my undergrad univ!
    • I am confident with my GPA upon graduate will be much better, at that time I will have more chance to enroll in a relatively better school
    • I might spend one year for nothing if workntravel and technician reject me
    • I afraid grad school reject me again coz I have done nothing related for one year, and at that time i have no advantage on applying even MPhil in my undergrad univ. That is, I will have no offer at all and have to work. (Yes, I admit I don't want to work in the society this early, I prefer working in the lab rather than working in a restaurant being just a waiter)

    I still haven't decide which to choose, any suggestions or views? Thanks again!
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2
    Re: Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA......

    Help pleaseeee~~
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook