Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA

In summary, the individual is seeking help with choosing the best option for applying to a PhD program in the US. They currently have a GPA of 3.24, but hope to improve it to 3.5+ before applying. Their first option is to apply directly to a PhD program in the US, but they are concerned about their low GPA and lack of a high PGRE score. The second option is to apply for an MPhil at their current university and then apply for a PhD in the US. The third option is to take a gap year to work or travel and then apply for a PhD in the US with a higher GPA and PGRE score. They are unsure of which option to choose and are seeking suggestions and advice
Mr.Juicy
Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA...

First, thank you for clicking this thread and trying to help me. I am going to apply grad school for a PhD, but my situation now is...

Let me explain. My current overall GPA is 3.24 (current Major GPA 3.67), thanks to those non-major courses (which gave me C!). Luckily, I still have one more year to study more courses so that I can finally discard all of my C-range courses, and end up with overall GPA 3.5+ (hopefully Major GPA by then will be 3.7+)

I went on for exchange a year ago, so I still have several physics courses to complete, including E&M and classical mechanics. So far I have taken only ~40 credit on physics, 20-30 more to go (and this is why I'm so confident that my overall GPA will be much better than now!).

So now I have 3 options.

Option 1
- Apply PG in US commencing on 2012Fall
Pros

• Attending PhD in US on 2012Fall is my first priority
  • Enrolling PhD in one stroke would (normally) save more time than Option 2, even though no one can guarantee that..
Cons
  • Current GPA is not good enough to send me to relatively better grad school. (Stony Brook, GIT, Michigan, Colorado, UIUC, Maryland, UCSD, UCSB, U Penn, Columbia, etc.)
  • I don't know if I can get 900+ in PGRE to compensate my low GPA, now I'm only confident with getting 800+ in PGRE. (coz by the time I take PGRE I'm still learning EM and Classical Mechanics...)
  • If I am rejected by all or accepted with no ship/funding (living under porverty:rolleyes:), then I might just donating USD$1000+ to those physics depts and ETS

Option 2
- Apply MPhil in my undergrad univ. commencing on 2012Fall, after I finish my MPhil, apply for PhD in US again
Pros
  • I can keep studying on 2012Fall
Cons
  • If i first finish a MPhil then do PhD in US, I need to spend more time to reach PhD level
  • Psychologically feeling bad (don't know why)

Option 3
- Apply PG in US commencing on 2013Fall
Pros
  • I will have more time to prepare PGRE to get higher score
  • I can workntravel for one year in UK or Australia, gaining more experience!
  • Or maybe i can be a technician in my undergrad univ!
  • I am confident with my GPA upon graduate will be much better, at that time I will have more chance to enroll in a relatively better school
Cons
  • I might spend one year for nothing if workntravel and technician reject me
  • I afraid grad school reject me again coz I have done nothing related for one year, and at that time i have no advantage on applying even MPhil in my undergrad univ. That is, I will have no offer at all and have to work. (Yes, I admit I don't want to work in the society this early, I prefer working in the lab rather than working in a restaurant being just a waiter)

I still haven't decide which to choose, any suggestions or views? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Help pleaseeee~~

Related to Need help, I don't know when to apply coz my current GPA

1. When is the best time to apply for a job or program based on my current GPA?

The best time to apply for a job or program based on your current GPA depends on a few factors. It is important to consider the application deadlines for the specific job or program you are interested in, as well as the average GPA requirements. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of your own academic progress and how your current GPA compares to the average. In general, it is best to apply when you feel confident in your academic standing and have met the necessary requirements.

2. How does my current GPA affect my chances of getting accepted into a job or program?

Your current GPA is one of the factors that employers and admissions committees may consider when evaluating your application. It can provide insight into your academic abilities and level of dedication. However, it is not the only factor that is taken into consideration. Other elements such as letters of recommendation, relevant experience, and personal statements may also play a role in the decision-making process.

3. Is there a minimum GPA requirement for most jobs or programs?

The minimum GPA requirement for jobs and programs varies depending on the specific position or program. Some may have a strict minimum GPA requirement, while others may consider a range of factors in addition to GPA. It is important to research the specific requirements for the job or program you are interested in and to aim for a GPA that meets or exceeds those requirements.

4. Can I still get accepted into a job or program if my GPA is below the average?

While having a GPA that meets or exceeds the average may increase your chances of being accepted into a job or program, it is not the only factor that is taken into consideration. If your GPA is below the average, you can still showcase other strengths and qualifications in your application, such as relevant experience, extracurricular activities, or exceptional skills. It is important to highlight these aspects and provide a well-rounded application to increase your chances of acceptance.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a job or program with a lower GPA?

If you have a lower GPA, there are several steps you can take to improve your chances of getting accepted into a job or program. First, consider retaking any courses in which you received a low grade to improve your overall GPA. Additionally, focus on highlighting your strengths and accomplishments in other areas, such as relevant experience, extracurricular activities, and skills. You can also reach out to individuals in the field for advice and guidance on how to strengthen your application. Ultimately, a strong and well-rounded application can make a positive impression and improve your chances of acceptance.