Solve DE Using Substitution and Integration Techniques | Helpful Tips Included

• Thread starter TogoPogo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the substitution y=xu to reduce the given differential equation into a simpler form. It also mentions using the substitution u=tan v to integrate the resulting equation. By doing so, the particular solution is found to be y=\frac{1}{2}(x^{2}-1) when the curve passes through the point (1,0). The speaker also expresses uncertainty about how to approach the problem and whether it is a special case.
TogoPogo
The problem states:

"By using the substitution [itex]y=xu[/itex], show that the differential equation [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}{x}, x>0[/itex] can be reduced to the d.e. [itex]x\frac{du}{dx}=\sqrt{u^{2}+1}[/itex].

Hence, show that if the curve passes through the point [itex](1,0)[/itex], the particular solution is given by [itex]y=\frac{1}{2}(x^{2}-1)[/itex]."

I managed to get the d.e. into the form [itex]x\frac{du}{dx}=\sqrt{u^{2}+1}[/itex] but I have no idea how to integrate [itex]\frac{du}{\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}[/itex]. Wolfram Alpha is giving me some inverse hyperbolic sine stuff which I haven't learned yet (I'm in high school). All I've really 'learned' from my teacher so far was solving separable DE's, and inseparable DE's with [itex]y=ux[/itex], however some of the questions that we were given required other techniques like integrating factors and stuff. Is this DE a special case or something?

Anyways, how would I approach this? Do I square both sides to get rid of the square root sign?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution u=tan v.

I got it! Thank you. I didn't know how to integrate secx but Wolfram helped out.

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change, and is commonly used to model natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series or numerical methods. It is important to first identify the type of DE and then apply the appropriate method.

3. Can I use software or calculators to solve a DE?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can solve differential equations. Some popular ones include Mathematica, MATLAB, and Wolfram Alpha. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving a DE, rather than relying solely on technology.

4. What are the applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are particularly useful for predicting the behavior of complex systems and can be used to model everything from population growth to electrical circuits.

5. Is it important to have a strong mathematical background to solve differential equations?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus and algebra is essential for solving differential equations. It is important to have a good understanding of derivatives, integrals, and basic algebraic operations in order to successfully solve DEs. However, with practice and patience, anyone can learn to solve differential equations.