1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in solving this DE

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    The problem states:

"By using the substitution [itex]y=xu[/itex], show that the differential equation [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y+\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}{x}, x>0[/itex] can be reduced to the d.e. [itex]x\frac{du}{dx}=\sqrt{u^{2}+1}[/itex].

Hence, show that if the curve passes through the point [itex](1,0)[/itex], the particular solution is given by [itex]y=\frac{1}{2}(x^{2}-1)[/itex]."

I managed to get the d.e. into the form [itex]x\frac{du}{dx}=\sqrt{u^{2}+1}[/itex] but I have no idea how to integrate [itex]\frac{du}{\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}[/itex]. Wolfram Alpha is giving me some inverse hyperbolic sine stuff which I haven't learned yet (I'm in high school). All I've really 'learned' from my teacher so far was solving separable DE's, and inseparable DE's with [itex]y=ux[/itex], however some of the questions that we were given required other techniques like integrating factors and stuff. Is this DE a special case or something?

Anyways, how would I approach this? Do I square both sides to get rid of the square root sign?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try the substitution u=tan v.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    I got it! Thank you. I didn't know how to integrate secx but Wolfram helped out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook