1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in some inter-dimensional isomorphisms

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Need help in some "inter-dimensional isomorphisms"

consider the set
    M = {e^(i*arctan(x)) in C | x in R }

now it is obvious that M is isomorphic to the real line, so we have an isomorphism from a subset of 2D to 1D.
    ok, now we should have M x M isomorphic to R^2, but somehow I cannot do this rigorously (excuse the spelling? :)
    what I do know (if there is no mistake in my working :) is that M x M is a hollow torus (doughnut :) in R^4 or C^2 if one allows x to be infinity in the definition

if there are anyone willing to help - i will nbe greatly indebted

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you change the definition of M (by "allowing x to go to infinity"), then why would you think M is still isomorphic to R?

(And P.S. it won't be a donut)

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if f is an iso from X to Y then fxf is an iso from XxX to YxY sending (a,b) to (f(a),f(b))

in this case yuo can be even more specific since the image of R under arctan is the open interval (-pi/2,pi/2), and you know what that maps to under exp, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?