Proof of Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules

In summary: T \Longrightarrow x \in S ...So we have S=T and so \phi is injective ...I am still working on the surjectivity of \phi ...Can someone please critique the proof and indicate whether it is OK?
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Dummit and Foote give the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules on page 349.

I need some help with the proof of Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules ... hope someone will critique my attempted proof ...

(I had considerable help from the proof of the theorem for groups in Project Crazy Project ...)

The Theorem reads as follows:

View attachment 2982

My attempt at the proof follows. Note that there are several points where I am unsure of the manipulations/mechanics with cosets of quotient modules ...In the Theorem stated above we read:

" ... ... There is a bijection between the submodules of \(\displaystyle M\) which contain \(\displaystyle N\) and the submodules of \(\displaystyle M/N\). ... ... "

So we need to demonstrate that there exists a bijection between the sets:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{A} = \{ A \ | \ A \text{ is a submodule of } M \text{ and } A \text{ contains the submodule } N \}\)

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{B} = \{ A/N \ | \ A/N \text{ is a submodule of } M/N \}\)That is, we need to show that there exists a bijection \(\displaystyle \phi \ : \ \mathcal{A} \to \mathcal{B}\)

where \(\displaystyle \phi (S) = S/N\)

Now we know that there exists a surjective homomorphism:

\(\displaystyle \pi \ : \ S \to S/N\)

where \(\displaystyle \pi (s) = \overline{s}\)

so essentially, we have that:

\(\displaystyle \phi (S) = \pi \)

where \(\displaystyle \pi = \{ \overline{s}_i \ | \ \pi (s_i) = \overline{s}_i \}
\)

[Question 1 - is this right ... it seems so because \(\displaystyle \pi \) is essentially the set of all cosets of \(\displaystyle S/N\)]
Proof that \(\displaystyle \phi \) is injective

Suppose that \(\displaystyle \phi (S) = \phi (T)\) ... ... then we need to show \(\displaystyle S = T\) ... ...Note that we have that:

\(\displaystyle \phi (S) = \phi (T) \Longrightarrow \pi = \phi [T] \)

since we have that

Now let \(\displaystyle x \in S\)

Then we have:

\(\displaystyle x \in S \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \pi (x) = \pi (y) \text{ for some } y \in T \text{ since } \pi = \pi [T] \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \overline{x} = \overline{y}\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow x - y \in N \) (Question 2, is that correct?)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow x \in y + N\) (Question 3, is that correct?)But then ... \(\displaystyle y + N \subset T \) (Question 4, is that correct?)

So then \(\displaystyle x \in T\)

A similar (symmetrical) argument, I think, would show \(\displaystyle x \in T \Longrightarrow x \in S\) ...

So we have \(\displaystyle S=T\) and so \(\displaystyle \phi\) is injective ...

I am still working on the surjectivity of \(\displaystyle \phi\) ...

Can someone please critique the proof and indicate whether it is OK?

(Apologies for the large number of possibly trivial questions regarding cosets ... just ensuring my reasoning is sound ...)

If anyone can demonstrate or point to the existence of a better proof - online or in a text - I would be really interested ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Dummit and Foote give the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules on page 349.

I need some help with the proof of Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules ... hope someone will critique my attempted proof ...

(I had considerable help from the proof of the theorem for groups in Project Crazy Project ...)

The Theorem reads as follows:

View attachment 2982

My attempt at the proof follows. Note that there are several points where I am unsure of the manipulations/mechanics with cosets of quotient modules ...In the Theorem stated above we read:

" ... ... There is a bijection between the submodules of \(\displaystyle M\) which contain \(\displaystyle N\) and the submodules of \(\displaystyle M/N\). ... ... "

So we need to demonstrate that there exists a bijection between the sets:

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{A} = \{ A \ | \ A \text{ is a submodule of } M \text{ and } A \text{ contains the submodule } N \}\)

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{B} = \{ A/N \ | \ A/N \text{ is a submodule of } M/N \}\)That is, we need to show that there exists a bijection \(\displaystyle \phi \ : \ \mathcal{A} \to \mathcal{B}\)

where \(\displaystyle \phi (S) = S/N\)

Now we know that there exists a surjective homomorphism:

\(\displaystyle \pi \ : \ S \to S/N\)

where \(\displaystyle \pi (s) = \overline{s}\)

so essentially, we have that:

where \(\displaystyle \pi = \{ \overline{s}_i \ | \ \pi (s_i) = \overline{s}_i \}
\)

[Question 1 - is this right ... it seems so because \(\displaystyle \pi \) is essentially the set of all cosets of \(\displaystyle S/N\)]

It's almost right. In the definition of $\mathcal{B}$, the $ A/N$ should be $A$.

Peter said:
\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow x - y \in N \) (Question 2, is that correct?)

Yes.

Peter said:
\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow x \in y + N\) (Question 3, is that correct?)

Yes.

Peter said:
But then ... \(\displaystyle y + N \subset T \) (Question 4, is that correct?)

Yes.

Peter said:
A similar (symmetrical) argument, I think, would show \(\displaystyle x \in T \Longrightarrow x \in S\) ...

Yes, that's right.

Peter said:
I am still working on the surjectivity of \(\displaystyle \phi\) ...

Well, if you're still stuck, let me help you. Given $B\in\mathcal{B}$, $\pi^{-1}(B)$ is an element of $A$ that maps to $B$ under $\phi$. This proves surjectivity of $\phi$. Now can you show that in fact $\phi(\pi^{-1}(B)) = B$?

Peter said:
If anyone can demonstrate or point to the existence of a better proof - online or in a text - I would be really interested ...

It suffices to show that $\phi$ has an inverse. Define $\theta : \mathcal{B} \to \mathcal{A}$ such that $\theta(B) = \pi^{-1}(B)$. Then

$\displaystyle \theta\phi(A) = \theta(A/N) = A$

and

$\displaystyle\phi\theta(B) = \phi(\pi^{-1}(B)) = B$

for all $A\in \mathcal{A}$ and $B\in\mathcal{B}$. Thus, $\theta$ is the inverse of $\phi$.

Euge said:
It's almost right. In the definition of $\mathcal{B}$, the $ A/N$ should be $A$.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, that's right.
Well, if you're still stuck, let me help you. Given $B\in\mathcal{B}$, $\pi^{-1}(B)$ is an element of $A$ that maps to $B$ under $\phi$. This proves surjectivity of $\phi$. Now can you show that in fact $\phi(\pi^{-1}(B)) = B$?
It suffices to show that $\phi$ has an inverse. Define $\theta : \mathcal{B} \to \mathcal{A}$ such that $\theta(B) = \pi^{-1}(B)$. Then

$\displaystyle \theta\phi(A) = \theta(A/N) = A$

and

$\displaystyle\phi\theta(B) = \phi(\pi^{-1}(B)) = B$

for all $A\in \mathcal{A}$ and $B\in\mathcal{B}$. Thus, $\theta$ is the inverse of $\phi$.

Thanks so much for your help Euge ...

Peter

1. What is the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules?

The Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules is a fundamental result in module theory that provides a general framework for understanding the structure of modules over a ring. It states that for any module M over a ring R and its submodules A and B, there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the submodules of M containing A and the submodules of M/A. This theorem is an extension of the well-known Isomorphism Theorems for groups and rings.

2. How is the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules useful?

The Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules is useful in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, representation theory, and algebraic geometry. It allows for a deeper understanding of the structure of modules and can be used to prove other theorems and results about modules.

3. Can the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules be applied to non-commutative rings?

Yes, the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules can be applied to non-commutative rings. However, the proof and formulation of the theorem may differ slightly in this case.

4. How does the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules relate to the other Isomorphism Theorems?

The Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules is an extension of the First and Second Isomorphism Theorems for groups and rings. It also has connections to the Third Isomorphism Theorem for rings. However, the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem is specifically for modules and provides a more general framework for understanding their structure.

5. Are there any applications of the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules?

Yes, the Fourth or Lattice Isomorphism Theorem for Modules has numerous applications in mathematics and other fields. For example, it is used in the classification of simple modules, the study of module extensions, and the construction of projective and injective modules. It also has applications in physics and computer science, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and coding theory.