Need help in understand the Markers on electronic chips

1. Need help in understand the "Markers" on electronic chips

I am just wondering what is the markers telling us, like what has shown in the diagram, the CLR is telling us if we apply active-high state input to that port, the flip flop will be reset right? But there is some case where the Markers is labeled as CLR' (bar-CLR) and there is a bubble attached at the port it should be something like "NOT gate". So in this case how do i determine whether should i apply high or low state to reset my flip flop?

If CLR is labeled without bar, does it mean when the port receive high state, ff is reset;
    and if CLR is labeled with bar, does it mean when the port receive low state, ff is reset?

Do the bubble determine anything?
  2. jcsd
  3. [​IMG]

This is the type of flip flop i see in my note, if the CLR port is active-Low, so supplying high state into the port will get inverted by the bubble b4 the port then become low, so can i say the flip flop is reset in this configuration?

But my note keep using this kind of configuration to avoid the flip flop from getting reset...
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, the bubble is a marker, not an active thing. The bubble indicates active low for inputs, so the CLR~ input clears the FF when it is driven low. And the bubble and > markings on the clock input indicate that the clock causes the data to propagate on the negative-going edge of the clock input.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. oh, is that mean there is no such things like a CLR~ without bubble marker?
  6. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Correct. No bubble means you use the active high signal CLR. A bubble means that the active low signal CLR~ is used to clear the FF. :smile:
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ah I see, thank you very much :)
  8. Take a look at this, which explains a little about why designers use certain symbols:

This page also explains some of it about halfway down, under "DeMorgan's Theorem":

and this slide show isn't bad

I couldn't find any pages that do a fantastic job of explaining this...
    1 person likes this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted