Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy book

In summary: Thank you for your help.In summary, the conversation revolved around a book called "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" which covers the basics of all fields of science. The book was published in 1991 and the most recent edition is from 2009. The person was wondering if there are any other updated books like this one. There were also mentions of other books such as Hogben's "Science for the Citizen" and Asimov's "Guide to Science". The conversation concluded with a thank you for the help.
blank.black
Need help urgently please...

so i have this book called "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" written by Robert Hazen & James Trefil which seems to have basics of all fields of science compiled together in it.

check this link for more info:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/038526108X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

anyways this book seems to be published in the 1990's and so i was wondering if anyone knows of an updated version of this book or any other updated book like this one which has basics of all science compiled in one bookP.S. i don't think this is the appropriate section for this thread and i was going to post it in the "learning materials" section but it won't let me make a new thread there. i would really like to know why.

anyways so move this thread accordingly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

According to Amazon, the copyright is for 1991 and for 2009, so I reckon the most recent edition is 2009. I have only just accidentally run across your appeal, so I hope my response is in time.
Actually, for a book of that nature, the exact edition seldom matters. Even Hogben's "Science for the Citizen" of 1938 is still useful, as well as being a great classic. Asimov's "Guide to Science" has merits as well. If such a book is worth much, then an older edition will not mislead you on anything more than matters of detail; it is not there to keep you up to date on the latest developments. Nothing can do that, not even a science library that subscribes to all the latest journals.
Cheers,
Jon

Thank you Jon. That helped :)

blank.black said:
Thank you Jon. That helped :)
You are altogether welcome, BB!
Jon

I highly recommend "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" by Robert Hazen and James Trefil. This book provides a comprehensive overview of all fields of science and is a great resource for those looking to improve their scientific literacy. However, since it was published in the 1990s, it may not include the most recent scientific advancements and discoveries.

If you are looking for an updated version of this book, I suggest checking with the authors or the publisher to see if they have released a newer edition. Alternatively, there are many other books available that cover a wide range of scientific topics and are regularly updated. Some examples include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and "The Science Book" by DK Publishing.

I understand your frustration with not being able to post in the "learning materials" section. It is possible that you do not have the necessary permissions to create a new thread in that section. I suggest reaching out to the forum moderators for assistance. I hope you are able to find the information you are looking for and continue to expand your scientific knowledge. Science truly does matter, and it is important for all individuals to have a basic understanding of its principles.

What is the main purpose of "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" book?

The main purpose of "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" book is to promote scientific literacy by explaining key scientific concepts and encouraging critical thinking skills. It aims to help readers understand the importance of science in our daily lives and how it impacts society and the environment.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone interested in learning about science and improving their scientific literacy. It is suitable for students, educators, and the general public who want to gain a better understanding of scientific concepts and their applications.

How is "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" book organized?

The book is organized into five main sections: "The Nature of Science," "Biology Matters," "Chemistry Matters," "Physics Matters," and "Earth and Space Science Matters." Each section covers key scientific topics and includes real-world examples, illustrations, and activities to engage readers in the learning process.

What sets "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" book apart from other science books?

This book stands out for its focus on scientific literacy and critical thinking skills. It goes beyond just presenting information and encourages readers to think critically about scientific concepts and their real-world applications. It also addresses current and relevant topics, making science more accessible and engaging for readers.

Can "Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy" book be used as a textbook?

Yes, this book can be used as a textbook for science classes in high school or college. It covers a wide range of scientific topics and includes activities and discussion questions that can be used in a classroom setting. It is also a valuable resource for self-study and can be used by individuals looking to improve their scientific literacy.