How Fast Should a Motorcyclist Go to Stay on a Loop?

• Thread starter ptrainerjoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, the motorcyclist needs to travel at a speed of 11m/s to avoid leaving the surface of the ramp at the top.
ptrainerjoe
Heres the problem:

A stunt motorcyclist rides with uniform speed on the inside rim of a vertical circular ramp of radius 8 m. How fast must the motor cyclist travel to aviod leaving the surface at the top of the loop.

the answer in the back of the book says 11m/s but I keep getting 8.9m/s. After working out the formula isn't the final formula v=sqrt{RG}?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "A stunt motorcyclist rides with uniform speed". If the cyclist is traveling at UNIFORM speed as he travels up the ramp, there is a nonconservative force acting on the cyclist and ENERGY IS NOT CONSERVED. Does the problem give you any information about the coefficient of static friction? If so, you can use the following:

[tex]W_{nc} = \mu_{s}\int_{0}^{
\pi/2} N(\theta) R d\theta = E_{f} - E_{i} = \frac{1}{2}mv_{f}^2 + mg(2R) - \frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^2[/tex]

where [tex] W_{nc}, N(\theta)[/tex] is the work done by the nonconservative force and the normal force as a function of angle, respectively. The subscripts [tex]i, f[/tex] denote final and inital points. I took the initial point to be when the cyclist enters the ramp and the final point to be where the cyclist is at the top of the loop. You can simplify the above equation because [tex]v_{f} = v_{i}[/tex]

However, read the question again carefully. You may have confused the wording. It sounds like this is a typical freshman level physics problem and usually they aren't this complicated.

Last edited:
yes it is a freshman level physics 1 course. We have gone through forces and are just starting work and kinetic energy. The problem is written down exactly as it is in the book. I had a hard time with the way it was written as well that's why i needed the help.

Heres an example of how someone else worked it out. I did it the sameway.

http://physics.mercer.edu/balduz/GenPhys/phy161images/B/b19.pdf

I think my answer is right but the answer in the back of the book says otherwise. I just want to make sure that it is right before i turn it in today at 1pm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a powered loop problem?

A powered loop problem is a specific type of mathematical problem that involves a loop or circular pattern with some sort of input or power source. This type of problem is commonly found in physics and engineering fields.

2. How do I approach solving a powered loop problem?

Solving a powered loop problem typically involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using known equations and principles to calculate the unknown variables. It may also require drawing diagrams or creating models to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common applications of powered loop problems?

Powered loop problems can be found in many real-world applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing electric circuits, and understanding the motion of planets in orbit. These problems are also commonly used in problem-solving competitions and exams.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a powered loop problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a powered loop problem include forgetting to consider all the forces or inputs acting on the system, using incorrect equations, and not properly labeling or organizing the variables. It's important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check all calculations for accuracy.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving powered loop problems?

One helpful tip for solving powered loop problems is to start by identifying all the known and unknown variables and making a list or diagram to keep track of them. It's also important to use relevant equations and principles, and to always check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.