Velocity and acceleration in a frictionless circular loop

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 1kg block sliding down a ramp and around a circular loop without any friction. The first problem was to find the minimum height of the ramp so that the block would make it all the way around the loop without falling, which was solved using energy equations and resulted in a minimum height of 25m. The second problem was to find the velocity of the block at the bottom of the ramp so that the acceleration at the top of the loop would be 4 times the acceleration due to gravity. After several attempts, the correct equation was found and the velocity at the bottom of the ramp was determined to be 28.1m/s.
KKiefhaber
This is a problem I encountered while studying/practicing for my upcoming MCAT exam:

Homework Statement

A 1kg block slides down a ramp and then around a circular loop of radius 10m. Assume that all surfaces are frictionless.

1)What is the minimum height of the ramp required so that the block makes it all the way around the loop without falling? (solved)

2)How fast does the block need to be going at the bottom of the ramp so that the acceleration of the block at the top of the loop is 4g? (stuck)

Homework Equations

$$U=mgh$$
$$KE={1}/{2}mv^2$$
[tex]F_(net)=ma_y=mg+F_N[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the initial problem, I set $$F_N=0$$ because that would be the point at which the block would begin to fall off the loop, allowing me to find the minimum height. Using $$a_c$$ for $$a_y$$ I got that $$v=\sqrt{gr}.$$
Using energy equations to set the potential energy at the top of the track equal to the (potential energy+kinetic energy) found at the top of the loop, I found that the minimum height of the ramp would be 25m.

However, for problem 2, the solutions I have tried have been incorrect.
Given that the desired acceleration of the block is $$4g$$ I first set $$4g=\frac{v^2}{r}$$
This gives v=19.95m/s which is incorrect according to the answer key provided (v=28m/s).

Next I attempted setting $$ma_c=mg+F_N$$ or $$\frac{mv^2}{r} = mg+F_N$$
but couldn't get much further.

A third attempt at using energy relationships led me to
$$\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2=mg2r+\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2$$ where the left side is the kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp just before the loop, and the right side is the total energy (kinetic and potential) at the top of the loop. After cancelling out $$m$$ I was again unable to proceed.

Thank you very much for taking the time to go through all of this, I look forward to any help or pointing in the right direction anyone can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first attempt, you found the velocity at the top of the loop. But you need to find the velocity at the bottom.

In your third attempt, you found the correct equation relating these two velocities.

You are almost there.

Thank you! For some reason, spelling it out that way made it click!

I didn't realize that the initial velocity I'd solved for was actually the velocity at the top of the loop, not just an incorrect answer. I used it for my v sub 2 which allowed me to solve my energy equation for v sub 1 giving me 28.1 as the answer.

I was so frustrated, I didn't realize I'd actually solved for part of the problem :)

Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in a frictionless circular loop?

In a frictionless circular loop, the velocity refers to the speed and direction at which an object is moving along the loop, while the acceleration refers to the rate at which the object's velocity is changing. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How is velocity calculated in a frictionless circular loop?

The velocity in a frictionless circular loop can be calculated by taking the circumference of the loop and dividing it by the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution around the loop. This is known as the tangential velocity, as it is tangent to the circular path.

3. What causes an object to accelerate in a frictionless circular loop?

In a frictionless circular loop, the only force acting on the object is the centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is what causes the object to accelerate towards the center, constantly changing its direction and resulting in circular motion.

4. Does the speed of an object in a frictionless circular loop change?

Yes, the speed of an object in a frictionless circular loop is constantly changing due to the acceleration caused by the centripetal force. However, the magnitude of the speed remains constant, as it is only the direction that is changing.

5. How does the radius of the circular loop affect the velocity and acceleration of an object?

The radius of the circular loop directly affects the velocity and acceleration of an object. A larger radius will result in a higher tangential velocity, as the object has a longer distance to travel in the same amount of time. The acceleration is also inversely proportional to the radius, meaning a larger radius will result in a smaller acceleration, and vice versa.