1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help on Orthogonal Trajectories in my Diff. EQ. Class

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the families (x+c1)(x2+y2)+x = 0 and (y+c2)(x2+y2)-y = 0

2. Relevant equations
    For the 2 curves to be orthogonal their slopes should be negative recriprocles.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure that for the first set of curves:

y'(x) = - (2c1 x + 3x2+y[x]2+1)/(2(c1+x)y[x])

and for the second set of curves:

y'(x) = (2x (c2 +y)) / (2c2 y[x] + x2 + 3y[x]2-1)

which are not negative recriprocles of each other.

I'm thinking i went wrong somewhere along the lines of finding the deravitive. if anyone could please help me out i'd really appreciate it.

I used Mathematica to get those answers:

For the first set i factored out the original problem then took the deravitive of that:

D[c1 x^2 + c1 y[x]^2 + x^3 + x y[x]^2 + x, x]

then i used the solve command to solve that for y'[x]

For the second set i factored out the original problem, then took the deravitive of that with respect to x:

D[c2 x^2 + c2 y[x]^2 + x^2 y[x] + y[x]^3 - y[x], x]

Then i used the Solve[] function to solve that for y'[x]

P.S. I'm pretty sure these are supposed to be orthogonal just because there isn't an option for not orthogonal.

Like i said any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I get almost the same as you did, with the difference being a sign in dy/dx for the second curve.

For that curve, I got y' = -(2xy + 2c2x)/(x2 + 3y2 + 2c2y - 1)

I believe that the reason our answers differ is because you weren't working with the equations, which you need to do to differentiate implicitly.

In any case, I didn't find that the derivatives were negative reciprocals of each other, either, so are you sure you copied the problem correctly?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook