Need Help Proving Limit of Sequence Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student who needs help studying for an exam, specifically with a question involving the limit of a sequence. The student's girlfriend is unsure if she is heading in the right direction and the professor has not provided any solutions. Another student suggests splitting the fraction and picking a value for N to prove the limit. The second question involves simplifying a sequence and proving its limit. The conversation ends with the students having to leave for school.
johnnyICON
Studying for exam, need help!

Hi can someone help me out. My girlfriend has an exam tomorrow and she got stuck on this question. Her professor decided not to give out any solutions she's not too sure if she is heading in the right direction. Any help would be great, thank you in advance.

Here is the question:
Prove by using the definition of the limit of a sequence that:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n + 1}{n^2} + 3 = 3[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
split up the fraction

[tex]
\frac{n}{n^2} + \frac{1}{n^2}
[/tex]

How do I get just one term of n?

You must show that given e>0 there is an N such that n>N implies

[tex]\frac{n+1}{n^2}<e[/tex]

agreed?

Well,

[tex]\frac{n+1}{n^2}<\frac{n+1}{(n+1)^2} = \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

so pick N such that N+1>1/e

Second question, if you could get back to me asap, we're at school cramming right now
Let[tex]a_n = \frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3}[/tex] Prove by using the definition of the limit of a sequence that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Well, have you simplified a_n -1/2?

every question like this reduces to showing something tends to zero. that thing tends to zero for obvious reasons just like the previous example

I just have [tex]|\frac{n^2-1}{2n^2+3} - \frac{1}{2}|[/tex] and I don't know how to get it to a single n term.

Thanks for your help anyway. We got to go now.

Related to Need Help Proving Limit of Sequence Problem

1. What is a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity.

2. How do I prove the limit of a sequence?

The most common way to prove the limit of a sequence is to use the definition of a limit and show that the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to the limit value as the index approaches infinity.

3. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

The definition of a limit of a sequence states that for any positive distance ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all indices n greater than N, the distance between the nth term in the sequence and the limit value is less than ε.

4. Can I use calculus to prove the limit of a sequence?

Yes, you can use calculus to prove the limit of a sequence. This involves using the properties of limits, such as the limit laws and L'Hopital's rule, to simplify the sequence and show that it approaches the desired limit value.

5. Are there any common mistakes when proving the limit of a sequence?

One common mistake is assuming that the limit of a sequence exists without actually proving it. It is important to show that the limit value is a real number and not just an assumption. Additionally, it is important to use the correct definition of a limit and not confuse it with the definition of a convergent sequence.