Solving Fiber Optics Glass Characteristic Equations with Maple

• Thread starter windsupernova
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the characteristic equation of a fiber optics glass. The equations needed to be solved separately are given, but Maple is not giving accurate results. The person tried using their TI calculator, but the results were similar and they are unsure if they are correct. They ask for help in solving for the propagation angle x, and suggest using tex or fractions for easier understanding. The general equation and values for constants are also provided. Suggestions are given to define variables and use trigonometric identities to simplify the equations.
windsupernova

Homework Statement

They ask me to solve the characteristic equation of a fiber optics glass. The equations I need to solve (separately) are:

Homework Equations

solve(2000000*Pi*sin(x)-2*arctan(.6666666667*(2.25*cos(x)^2-2.1904)^.5/sin(x)) = Pi, x):

solve(2000000*Pi*sin(x)-2*arctan(.6666666667*(2.25*cos(x)^2-2.1904)^.5/sin(x)) = 0, x)

That's how I tried to solve them in MAPLE.

The Attempt at a Solution

Maple is not giving me answers, I used my TI and it gave me some results but they were extremely similar and I don't think they are the real ones. How can I solve for the propagation angle x?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expressions on the left look the same. How can the same expression be both Pi and 0 at the same time?

And please try using tex or at least 2*10^6 and 2/3 instead of 2000000 and .6666666667
More people may decide to help if you put effort in presenting your problem neatly.

Well I'm Maple I used fractions, when I copy pasted them here they appeared as decimals. The equations are supposed to be different modes or propagation, so I need to solve for each angle individually.

The equation (general) is:

m*PI=2*PI*d/lambda -2 arctan(SQRT((n12Cos(x))^2 -n2^2)/n1*sin(x))

Where N1=1.5
n2=1.48
lambda=1(10^-6)
d=(3.192(10^-6)
And m=0,1,2,3... Where I only need the first (0 and 1)

If you define
[tex]\alpha^2 =1-(n_2/n_1)^2[/tex]
and let
[tex]y=sin(x)/\alpha[/tex], then I think you can write the arctan as:
[tex]arctan\left(\frac{\sqrt{1-y^2}}{y}\right)[/tex]

Try some trig identities from there.

1. How do I know what method to use to solve an equation?

The method you use to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are working with. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, graphing, and factoring. Review the properties and characteristics of each method to determine the best approach for your specific equation.

2. What do I do if I get stuck while solving an equation?

If you get stuck while solving an equation, it can be helpful to take a step back and review the problem. Make sure you understand the given information and the goal of the equation. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, easier steps or seeking assistance from a tutor or teacher.

3. Can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

Yes, it is always a good idea to check your answer to an equation to ensure it is correct. You can do this by substituting your solution back into the original equation and seeing if both sides of the equation are equal. You can also use online equation solvers or ask a peer or teacher to review your work.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations?

There are some common shortcuts and tricks that can be helpful when solving equations, such as using the distributive property or combining like terms. However, it is important to fully understand the steps and principles behind these shortcuts to avoid making mistakes. It is always best to show all work and use proper techniques when solving equations.

5. Do I need to solve an equation in a specific order?

Yes, it is important to follow the proper order of operations when solving equations. This means simplifying any expressions within parentheses first, then working from left to right with multiplication and division, followed by addition and subtraction. Failing to follow the order of operations can lead to incorrect solutions.