Need help studying for upper level physics quals?

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: Some of the texts you listed are good, but you may want to consider the graduate school you expect to attend to be more specific. However, if you are not sure which texts to buy, you can look at grad school shopper to see what preparation they expect for the qualifier. But, the best preparation is solving the problems.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I am studying for my phd program's qualifying exam and I find that I can solve hardly any of the practice exams from the last 10 years (not able to do any of the problems). I clearly am lacking the basics. Can someone recommend some books to study to get an undergraduate physics level understanding of upper level classical mechanics, E+M, and stat mech/thermal physics? I already own Griffith's quantum mechanics book. All my other textbooks I sold back to the bookstore.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_UG said:
All my other textbooks I sold back to the bookstore.

As you have discovered, that was a mistake. I would buy another copy of those texts and start from there.

Vanadium 50 said:
As you have discovered, that was a mistake. I would buy another copy of those texts and start from there.

Some of them I kept but we moved to a new house and I don't know what happened to the other ones. :(

I am not sure the texts I used in undergrad are good ones.

It doesn't matter if the mistake was that you sold them to the bookstore, or that you otherwise lost them. What matters is that you no longer have them. You spent months of your life working through each book, so you should get another copy. You might also want to get some other book, but the ones you need most are the ones you are most familiar with.

Vanadium 50 said:
It doesn't matter if the mistake was that you sold them to the bookstore, or that you otherwise lost them. What matters is that you no longer have them. You spent months of your life working through each book, so you should get another copy. You might also want to get some other book, but the ones you need most are the ones you are most familiar with.

I see. Thanks Vanadium.

If you have some idea of the graduate school, you can see what preparation they expect for the qualifier. Graduateschoolshopper has files for graduate schools and the academic preparation they expect. Most importantly, I learned to do problem after problem. Reading background is sometimes necessary, but it is solving the problems that is the best preparation. If you have a university library nearby, it may not be necessary to buy back all your recommended books.

possibilities:
Upper level Mechanics: Marion and Thornton Mech of particles and systems?, or Symon Mechanics,
Upper level Stat Mech: Reif, perhaps Kittel Thermal physic, Sears and Salinger, or Zemansky
Upper level EM: Marion and Heald, Corson and Lorraine, Griffith,
Upper level QM: Griffith, Gasiorowicz, Eisberg and Resnick maybe, Liboff, Saxon?

but is best to consider the graduate school you expect to attend to be more specific.

Related to Need help studying for upper level physics quals?

1. How should I approach studying for upper level physics quals?

The best approach for studying for upper level physics quals is to start early and have a consistent study schedule. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and theories, practice solving problems, and review regularly.

2. What resources are available to help me study for upper level physics quals?

There are many resources available to help with studying for upper level physics quals. Some helpful resources include textbooks, review books, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups.

3. What topics are typically covered in upper level physics quals?

The topics covered in upper level physics quals vary depending on the specific course and institution. However, some common topics include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for upper level physics quals?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills for upper level physics quals is to practice solving a variety of problems. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller steps, understand the underlying concepts, and seek help when needed.

5. What are some effective study techniques for upper level physics quals?

Some effective study techniques for upper level physics quals include creating study guides or summaries, using flashcards for key concepts, teaching the material to someone else, and practicing with past exams or problems. It is important to find the study techniques that work best for you.