Need help to solve FFT and IFFT by mathematica

In summary, to use Mathematica for FFT and IFFT, you can use the built-in functions Fourier and InverseFourier. These functions take in the data you want to transform as the first argument, and the sampling rate as the second argument. FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) and IFFT (Inverse Fast Fourier Transform) are mathematical algorithms used for signal processing and frequency analysis, commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and data analysis. One limitation of using FFT and IFFT in Mathematica is that the data must be evenly spaced and in the form of a list or array. However, you can perform FFT and IFFT on multidimensional data in Mathematica by using the Fourier and InverseFourier functions, as long
akter

Homework Statement

I want to solve FFT and IFFT in the same problem. My function is Exp[2*(1 + I*c)*T^2].

For FFT, I used the following code:

ClearAll["Global'*"]
c = 0;
f[t_] = Exp[-(1 + I*c)*2*t^2];
sampleTime = .01;
data1 = Table[f[t], {t, -5, 5, sampleTime}];
freq1 = Fourier[data1];

now I need to do IFFT of ( freq1*Exp[-0.5*(z/(1 - I*v))] ) function.
Before perform IFFT, i converted Exp[-0.5*(z/(1 - I*v))] into frequency data as same matrix of freq1. Here is my code:

s = Exp[-0.5*(z/(1 - I*v))];
data2 = Table[s, {v, 0, 2000*Pi, 2*Pi}];

Then i performed IFFT by

freq2 = InverseFourier[data2*freq1];

Homework Equations

Now i am confused whether my IFFT solution way is correct or not. I got idea of sampling frequency , Table[s, {v, 0, 2200*Pi, 2*Pi}] from some Matlab tutorial.Is there any another way I can calculate IFFT for my function?

The Attempt at a Solution

Finally i want to plot (Abs[freq2])^2 with respect to time for different value of z.
z=1;
ListLinePlot[(Abs[freq2]*Abs[freq2]), PlotRange -> Full]

But i got the curve in terms of data value 0 to 1000.

How can i get the curve with respect to time now??
Thanks,
Akter

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Akter,

Your approach for solving FFT and IFFT in the same problem seems correct. However, there are a few suggestions I have for you:

1. Instead of using a fixed value for c (in your example, c=0), you can try using a range of values and see how the FFT and IFFT results vary. This will give you a better understanding of the frequency and time domain relationships.

2. In your code for calculating data2, you have used a fixed range for v (0 to 2000*Pi). Instead, you can use the same range of values as you did for data1 (from -5 to 5 with a sample time of 0.01). This will ensure that the frequency data is consistent with the time data.

3. To plot the results with respect to time, you can use the following code:

time = Table[t, {t, -5, 5, sampleTime}];
ListLinePlot[Transpose[{time, Abs[freq2]^2}], PlotRange -> Full]

This will give you a plot with time on the x-axis and the square of the absolute values of frequency on the y-axis.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

1. How do I use Mathematica to perform FFT and IFFT?

To use Mathematica for FFT and IFFT, you can use the built-in functions Fourier and InverseFourier. These functions take in the data you want to transform as the first argument, and the sampling rate as the second argument. For example, to perform FFT on a list of data data with a sampling rate of 100, you would use the command Fourier[data, 100].

2. What is FFT and IFFT used for?

FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) and IFFT (Inverse Fast Fourier Transform) are mathematical algorithms used for signal processing and frequency analysis. They are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and data analysis.

3. Are there any limitations to using FFT and IFFT in Mathematica?

One limitation of using FFT and IFFT in Mathematica is that the data must be evenly spaced, meaning that the time between data points must be constant. Additionally, the data must be in the form of a list or array.

4. Can I perform FFT and IFFT on multidimensional data?

Yes, you can perform FFT and IFFT on multidimensional data in Mathematica. The Fourier and InverseFourier functions can take in data arrays of any dimension, as long as the data is evenly spaced.

5. How accurate are the results from FFT and IFFT in Mathematica?

The accuracy of the results from FFT and IFFT in Mathematica depends on the precision settings of the program. By default, Mathematica uses machine precision, which may not be accurate enough for some applications. However, you can adjust the precision using the WorkingPrecision option in the Fourier and InverseFourier functions.