Need help understanding limits, and their evaluation

• Thread starter gothloli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the limit of a function at a point is equal to the function itself, known as continuity. The approach to proving this may vary depending on the specific function and limit theorems learned. Some important limit theorems mentioned include the trivial limits, addition and multiplication rules, and the rule for limits of quotients. The conversation also points out the overlooked limit theorem that states if two functions are equal for all x close to but not equal to a, then their limits at a are also equal.
gothloli

Homework Statement

I don't know how to prove that the lim [itex]_{x-->a}[/itex] f(x) =f(a)

Homework Equations

basically how do we know that the limit of the function near a point a, is f(a). My textbook (Calculus Michael Spivak, 4th ed.) says that we prove this using theorem 2, which is the properties of limits...

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't understand, the textbook says we can prove this directly, but it doesn't show it

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to have a particular function, not generic f(x), or at least you need to know some properties of the function to prove anything about its limits.

Saying that "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]" is the definition of "continuous at x= a" and the great majority of functions are NOT continuous so you certainly cannot prove that for all f.

How you would prove it for a specific function depends on the function, as well as what limit theorems you have learned.

For example, to prove that f(x)= 3x- 4 is continuous for all x, that is, to prove that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} 3x- 4= 3a- 4[/itex], directly from the definition, I would look at the definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex]" and see that it involves "[itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]". Here, f(x)= 3x- 4 and L, the limit I want to prove, is f(a)= 3a- 4. So I know that I need to look at |(3x-4)- (3a- 4)|= |3x- 3a|= 3|x- a|. And I need to prove that [itex]3|x- a|< \epsilon[/itex] as long as [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] where I need to be able to choose a suitable [itex]\delta[/itex] for any given [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Comparing "[itex]3|x-a|< \epsilon[/itex]" and "[itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex]" it immediately occurs to me that I need to choose [itex]\delta= \epsilon/3[/itex] (or, strictly speaking any smaller number).

But if I have the "limit theorems" that
1) [itex]\lim_{x\to a} C= C[/itex] for any constant C
2) [itex]\lim_{x\to a} x= a[/itex]
(those are often called the "trivial limits")
3) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (f+ g)(x)= F+ G[/itex]
4) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (fg)(x)= FG[/itex]
5) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], AND [itex]G\ne 0[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (f/g)(x)= F/G[/itex]

I can immediately say that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} 3x- 4= (lim_{x\to a}3)(\lim_{x\to a}x)+ (\lim_{x\to a} -4)= 3a- 4[/itex]

If I also know the very important but often overlooked limit theorem
6) If f(x)= g(x) for all x close to but NOT equal to a, then [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)= \lim_{x\to a} g(x)[/itex]

I can argue that, for x not equal to a, [itex](x^2- a^2)(x- a)= x+ a[/itex] so that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}(x^2- a^2)/(x- a)= \lim_{x\to a} x+ a= 2a[/itex]. (Which I could NOT do using (5) because the denominator goes to 0.)
So that I have proved that the function "[itex]f(x)= (x^2- a^2)/(x- a)[/itex] as long as [itex]x\ne a[/tex] and f(a)= 2a" is continuous at x= a.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Saying that "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]" is the definition of "continuous at x= a" and the great majority of functions are NOT continuous so you certainly cannot prove that for all f.

How you would prove it for a specific function depends on the function, as well as what limit theorems you have learned.

For example, to prove that f(x)= 3x- 4 is continuous for all x, that is, to prove that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} 3x- 4= 3a- 4[/itex], directly from the definition, I would look at the definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex]" and see that it involves "[itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]". Here, f(x)= 3x- 4 and L, the limit I want to prove, is f(a)= 3a- 4. So I know that I need to look at |(3x-4)- (3a- 4)|= |3x- 3a|= 3|x- a|. And I need to prove that [itex]3|x- a|< \epsilon[/itex] as long as [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] where I need to be able to choose a suitable [itex]\delta[/itex] for any given [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Comparing "[itex]3|x-a|< \epsilon[/itex]" and "[itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex]" it immediately occurs to me that I need to choose [itex]\delta= \epsilon/3[/itex] (or, strictly speaking any smaller number).

But if I have the "limit theorems" that
1) [itex]\lim_{x\to a} C= C[/itex] for any constant C
2) [itex]\lim_{x\to a} x= a[/itex]
(those are often called the "trivial limits")
3) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (f+ g)(x)= F+ G[/itex]
4) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (fg)(x)= FG[/itex]
5) if [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= F[/itex] and [itex]]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)= G[/itex], AND [itex]G\ne 0[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to a} (f/g)(x)= F/G[/itex]

I can immediately say that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} 3x- 4= (lim_{x\to a}3)(\lim_{x\to a}x)+ (\lim_{x\to a} -4)= 3a- 4[/itex]

If I also know the very important but often overlooked limit theorem
6) If f(x)= g(x) for all x close to but NOT equal to a, then [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)= \lim_{x\to a} g(x)[/itex]

I can argue that, for x not equal to a, [itex](x^2- a^2)(x- a)= x+ a[/itex] so that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}(x^2- a^2)/(x- a)= \lim_{x\to a} x+ a= 2a[/itex]. (Which I could NOT do using (5) because the denominator goes to 0.)
So that I have proved that the function "[itex]f(x)= (x^2- a^2)/(x- a)[/itex] as long as [itex]x\ne a[/tex] and f(a)= 2a" is continuous at x= a.

Thank you for the clear explanation

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function is approaching, rather than a value that the function is actually taking on.

2. Why are limits important?

Limits are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function in situations where it is not defined or cannot be evaluated directly. They also play a crucial role in the development of calculus and are used to define important concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

3. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, rationalization, and the use of limit laws. These methods involve manipulating the function algebraically to simplify it and then plugging in the value that the input is approaching to find the limit.

4. What are some common types of limits?

Some common types of limits include one-sided limits, where the input approaches the value from either the left or the right, and infinite limits, where the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a certain value. Other types include limits at infinity, where the input approaches infinity, and limits of trigonometric functions.

5. How can limits be used in real-world applications?

Limits have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as the rate of change of a physical process, optimization problems, and predicting future trends based on past data.