Master Vector Problems: Tips for Solving Tricky Physics Equations

• Thread starter ch3570r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the person is struggling with two vector problems and needs help with drawing the diagrams. They are aware of the answers for the first problem (49m, 7.3degrees), but want to understand the process for obtaining them. The second problem (magnitude and direction of the plane's total displacement) is still unclear to them. They have attempted to draw the diagrams but are unsure if they are correct. They have provided a written version of the problems and are seeking assistance.
ch3570r
Its my first year in a physics class, and I am having a few problems with two particular vector problems.

Im not sure how to actual draw out the diagrams for the problem.

Any help would be fully appreciated

(I know the answers for the first problem, but I want to know how to get it; 49m, 7.3degrees to the right of down field)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the problems again, just written out:

1. A football player runs directly down the field for 35 m before turning to the right at an angle of 25degrees from his original direction and running an additional 15 m before getting tackled. What is the magnitude and direction of the runner's total displacement? (answers are 49m, and 7.3degrees, but how do you get them??)

2. A plane travels 2.5 km at an angle of 35degrees to the ground, then changes direction and travels 5.2 km at an angle of 22degrees to the ground. What is the magnitude and direction of the plane's total displacement?? (I don't know the answer to this one)

I have tried drawing each of them out, but I am not sure if I am drawing them right. Is my diagram for the second problem right? (attachment)

Last edited:

Hello,

I understand that you are struggling with two particular vector problems in your first year of physics class. Vector problems can be tricky, but with some tips and practice, you can become more comfortable and confident in solving them.

Firstly, it is important to have a good understanding of the concept of vectors. Vectors have both magnitude (size) and direction, and are represented by arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

To solve vector problems, it is helpful to draw out a diagram to visualize the problem. Start by drawing a coordinate system, with x and y axes, and label them accordingly. Then, draw the vectors involved in the problem as arrows, making sure to label their magnitudes and directions. This will help you to better understand the problem and determine the correct mathematical approach.

In the case of the problem you mentioned, the first step would be to draw a coordinate system with a downward direction as the negative y-axis. Then, draw a vector with a magnitude of 49m and a direction of 7.3 degrees to the right of the downward direction. This will give you the direction of the vector in relation to the coordinate system. From there, you can use trigonometry to find the x and y components of the vector, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector.

It is also important to keep in mind the rules for adding and subtracting vectors. When adding vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, and then draw a vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. This resulting vector is the sum of the two vectors. The parallelogram method involves drawing the two vectors as the sides of a parallelogram, and then drawing the diagonal of the parallelogram to represent the sum of the two vectors.

In summary, to solve vector problems, make sure to have a good understanding of the concept of vectors, draw a diagram to visualize the problem, and use the appropriate mathematical approach and rules for adding and subtracting vectors. With practice, you will become more comfortable and proficient in solving tricky physics equations involving vectors. I hope this helps, and good luck with your studies!

What are vector problems?

Vector problems involve the use of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems typically require the use of mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to solve for unknown variables.

How do I solve vector problems?

To solve vector problems, you will need to use vector addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You will also need to apply concepts such as dot and cross products, vector components, and unit vectors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before applying these mathematical concepts.

What are some common types of vector problems?

Some common types of vector problems include finding the resultant of multiple vectors, determining the angle between two vectors, and calculating the displacement or velocity of an object using vectors. Other types of vector problems may involve finding the components of a vector, determining the magnitude of a vector, or solving for unknown variables in vector equations.

What should I do if I am having trouble with vector problems?

If you are having trouble with vector problems, it is important to review the basic concepts of vectors and vector operations. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or fellow student. Practice problems and online resources can also be useful in improving your understanding and problem-solving skills.

Why are vector problems important?

Vector problems are important because they have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many areas of science and beyond.