1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help, Vector Problems

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Its my first year in a physics class, and Im having a few problems with two particular vector problems.

Im not sure how to actual draw out the diagrams for the problem.

Any help would be fully appreciated

(I know the answers for the first problem, but I want to know how to get it; 49m, 7.3degrees to the right of down field)
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    Here are the problems again, just written out:

1. A football player runs directly down the field for 35 m before turning to the right at an angle of 25degrees from his original direction and running an additional 15 m before getting tackled. What is the magnitude and direction of the runner's total displacement? (answers are 49m, and 7.3degrees, but how do you get them??)

2. A plane travels 2.5 km at an angle of 35degrees to the ground, then changes direction and travels 5.2 km at an angle of 22degrees to the ground. What is the magnitude and direction of the plane's total displacement?? (I dont know the answer to this one)

I have tried drawing each of them out, but Im not sure if Im drawing them right. Is my diagram for the second problem right? (attachment)
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?