1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a buoyancy problem

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cube of side length 3 cm floats in water (density = 1g/cm^3) with 1 cm floating above the water. What is the density of this cube?

2. Relevant equations
    Fbouyant = ρfluid*g*Vsubmerged
    Fg= mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having problems figuring out what the submerged volume of the cube is to plug into the formula. I have a formula that states that volume submerged for an object = Az, where A = the area of the object and z = the depth that the object is submerged so:

V=Az = 6(3cm^2) * 2cm (that is submerged) = 108cm^3 It seems that this is wrong though since the volume should be 18cm^3 to give me the right answer.

I then use the formula

Fb = Fg for an object that is floating
    ρfluid*g*Vsubmerged = ρobject*g* Vtotal of object

cancelling out the g from both sides gives a ratio that allows me to calculate for the density of the object. The answer is supposed to be 2/3 g/cm^3 which I am not getting.

Any guidance would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

One side of the cube is [itex]9cm^2[/itex] and the part that is submerged is [itex]2cm[/itex] in height.

So what's the volume of a rectangular-cube (probably not the right name for it) with a base of [itex]9cm^2[/itex] and a height of [itex]2cm[/itex]?

4. Jun 4, 2014 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi AlphaLima. Welcome to PF!

In the formula V = Az, A is not the total surface area of the cube. See this link .

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4
    L * W * H = 3*3*2 = 18cm^3. Thank you guys! This makes a lot more sense now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted