How Can You Prevent Pedal Slip in a Tandem All-Wheel Drive Tricycle?

• Thread starter TheNerdyGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the design allows for relative slip due to difference in pedalling speeds, but a high-tech solution is to power the bike with generators and have visual references to track rider effort.
TheNerdyGuy
That is in a tandem cycle where one set of pedals go to the front and the other to the back. So it's an all wheel drive, but when two people ride it, how do you prevent relative slip due to difference in pedalling?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Or even in a cycle with three wheels with each front and rear wheels being driven be different people?

I'm designing a two person tri-cycle where one person drives the two wheels in the front and the person in the back drives the single rear wheel by pedalling. The problem I have now is that I can't figure how I will prevent the relative slip that may occur due to the difference in pedalling speeds of both the cyclists.

This design is for a competition and it's really essential that I solve this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well a high-tech solution would be to have each cyclist power a generator and the two generators charge a battery that is used to power the motor.

Don't most bikes use a hub that allows you to coast so you could use one on each axle. If your trike is going faster than you're pedaling then it feels effortless but won't impede the other cyclist doing the work.

TheNerdyGuy said:
That is in a tandem cycle where one set of pedals go to the front and the other to the back

That's not how most tandem bicycles work. The wikipedia article has a section on drive trains that may help you out...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_bicycle

:smile:

I would look closely at a "DaVinci" bike. They are a Tandem bicycle that allows each of the two riders to contribute while allowing independent pedal Cadences. They have proven to be a little challenging mechanically for the average bicyclist. There is a defined advantage in having asynchronous drive as the harmonics of synchronous pedals are severe in normal tandems.

Aside from some type of floating hub. The easy approach is to rely on rider control to each be applying pressure. What kind of budget do you have? If you could incorporate modern power metering bottom brackets There could be a visual reference for each rider to see if they are keeping up. (or much worse tell your partner how much you are not contributing. oops)

TheNerdyGuy said:
That is in a tandem cycle where one set of pedals go to the front and the other to the back. So it's an all wheel drive, but when two people ride it, how do you prevent relative slip due to difference in pedalling?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
use the front guy only to handle the tri-cycle and the give the rear ones a single axled peddal and this axle bears the 2 rear wheels and this gives no slip.and this helps in reducing the effort of each on the ride.

Can you post a picture of your bike. I am interested in how the front pedal assembly delivers it power to the front wheels/axle while allowing the front wheels to be turned to steer the bike. The primary issue is whether or not both the front and rear pedal assemblies remain fixed in positon and aligned when the bike is turned. Depending on that, I may have a suggestion.

i'm confused.

slip between what and what else?

Seems to me friction with the ground will prevent slip
unless one of the cyclists has legs so strong he can spin the tyres
and i don't see why that would matter.

It may be intended as a all wheel drive bike for off-road and trail riding on dirt, sand, rock, mud and other slippery conditions. As a hiker, I have sometimes wished I had two more legs for those conditions as well.

1. What is the purpose of a tri-cycle design?

The purpose of a tri-cycle design is to create a three-wheeled vehicle that provides stability and balance while also allowing the rider to pedal and steer. It is commonly used as a first bike for children or for individuals who may have difficulty balancing on a traditional bicycle.

2. How does the design of a tri-cycle differ from a traditional bicycle?

A tri-cycle typically has three wheels, with two wheels in the front and one in the back. This provides a wider base for stability compared to a traditional bicycle which only has two wheels. Additionally, the handlebars and pedals are often connected to the front wheel, allowing the rider to steer and pedal simultaneously.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a tri-cycle?

When designing a tri-cycle, factors such as weight distribution, wheel size and placement, and handlebar and seat positioning should be taken into consideration. The design should also prioritize stability and safety for the rider.

4. How can I make the tri-cycle design more efficient?

To make the tri-cycle design more efficient, reducing the overall weight of the vehicle and using lightweight materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber can help. Additionally, making sure the wheels are properly inflated and the chain is well lubricated can also improve efficiency.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a tri-cycle design?

While tri-cycles are generally considered safe, there are some safety concerns that should be addressed in the design process. These include ensuring the rider's feet can reach the ground easily to prevent tipping, having proper braking mechanisms, and using sturdy materials for the frame. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the tri-cycle to ensure it is safe to ride.