Need help with an idea!

• Thread starter Mark14
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was looking to get any advice from a mechanical engineer about motion sensors. Would it be possible to make a motion sensor work underwater? i wasn't sure if the water would interfere. Thanks for anything, if this isn't an appropriate place for this question i would appreciate if anyone has a better forum to ask on. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I'm not an ME and I don't know about different kinds of motion sensors but I can guarantee you that you can make an underwater motion detector with a combination of a video camera and software to detect changes in the image. This obviously would not work as the light got dimmer and dimmer at depths.

Last edited:
billy_joule
Science Advisor
Doppler shift flow meters are one example of similar tech. They measure the velocity of bubbles or particles in fluids.

Yes there are underwater motion sensors. Like Billy said, their functioning is based on Doppler shift. Usual motion sensors use infra red.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
How is the water moving? What range do you require? How big are your moving targets?

Waves would produce variable doppler shifts, a flowing river would produce a constant doppler shift.

The echo of an ultrasonic pulse or chirp will depend on the position of nearby objects. If the record changes then the environment has changed.