How Do You Calculate Conditional Probabilities in Dice and Coin Scenarios?

In summary: For 2) The part of EXACTLY 3 dice show 2. We know that 3 dice have to show 2 out of the 4, hence the prob. for the first die to be 2 has to equal 3/4. But than for at LEAST 3 dice show 2, I am confused as where to start.
JP16

Homework Statement

1) S'pose we flip 2 fair coins, and roll one fair 6 sided die. What is the probability that the number of heads equals the number showing on the die?

2) We roll 4 fair six sided dice. What is the conditional prob. that the first die shows 2, conditional on the event that at LEAST 3 dice show 2.

Homework Equations

P(A|B) = P(A and B)/ P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 0.25 / (1/3) = 3/4. Is this correct? I have my doubts. :|

EDIT: Now I think it is: (1/3) / 0.75 = 4/9

2) The first of the question asks, if "EXACTLY" 3 dice show 2, in which the answer is 3/4. But for at least 3 show 2, I don't get how to mathematically show it, using the above formula. Intuitively I understand that the prob. has to be greater than 3/4 in this case, just don't know how to show. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JP16 said:

Homework Statement

1) S'pose we flip 2 fair coins, and roll one fair 6 sided die. What is the probability that the number of heads equals the number showing on the die?

2) We roll 4 fair six sided dice. What is the conditional prob. that the first die shows 2, conditional on the event that at LEAST 3 dice show 2.

Homework Equations

2) The first of the question asks, if "EXACTLY" 3 dice show 2, in which the answer is 3/4. But for at least 3 show 2, I don't get how to mathematically show it, using the above formula. Intuitively I understand that the prob. has to be greater than 3/4 in this case, just don't know how to show. Any help would be appreciated.

For 1): don't just write down some numbers as a final answer; show how you obtained it. The same advice applies to 2).

RGV

Thank for the quick reply. For 1)

Denote by A, the # of heads.
by B the # on dice.

Then P(B|A) = P(B and A)/ P (A) - For P(A), for at least 1 heads the prob. is 3/4. For intersection, possible sample space is for dice to be either 1 or 2 (1/3). But I'm confused as to what is the intersection of A and B. I am thinking since A and B are independent (right?) P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B). Than the P(A)'s cancel just leaving P(B).

For 2) The part of EXACTLY 3 dice show 2. We know that 3 dice have to show 2 out of the 4, hence the prob. for the first die to be 2 has to equal 3/4. But than for at LEAST 3 dice show 2, I am confused as where to start.

Last edited:
JP16 said:

Homework Statement

Did you try enumerating? There is a 1/4 probability that the two coins show NO heads but the die cannot show "0". There is a 1/2 probability that the two coins show one head and 1/6 probability that the die shows "1". There is a 1/4 probability that the two coins show two heads and 1/6 probability that the die shows "2".

Again, enumeration. The probability that all 4 dice show 2 is [itex](1/6)^4[/itex]. The probability of "at least 3" is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}4\end{bmatrix}(1/6)^3(5/6)+(1/6)^4[/itex].

Homework Equations

JP16 said:
Thank for the quick reply. For 1)

Denote by A, the # of heads.
by B the # on dice.

Then P(B|A) = P(B and A)/ P (A) - For P(A), for at least 1 heads the prob. is 3/4. For intersection, possible sample space is for dice to be either 1 or 2 (1/3). But I'm confused as to what is the intersection of A and B. I am thinking since A and B are independent (right?) P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B). Than the P(A)'s cancel just leaving P(B).

For 2) The part of EXACTLY 3 dice show 2. We know that 3 dice have to show 2 out of the 4, hence the prob. for the first die to be 2 has to equal 3/4. But than for at LEAST 3 dice show 2, I am confused as where to start.

No. If A and B are as you have defined them, you are asked to find Pr{A = B}. The event {A=B} consists of number of disjoint outcomes. What are these outcomes? How would you compute the probabilities of the individual outcomes?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The event {A=B} consists of number of disjoint outcomes. What are these outcomes? How would you compute the probabilities of the individual outcomes?
RGV

As HallsofIvy said the possible outcomes, the set would contain {TH1,HT1, HH2}. Then the probability of that would just be,

2([itex]\frac{2}{4}\frac{1}{6})+\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{6} = \frac{5}{24}[/itex]

Would this be correct?

HallsofIvy said:
Again, enumeration. The probability that all 4 dice show 2 is [itex](1/6)^4[/itex]. The probability of "at least 3" is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}4\end{bmatrix}(1/6)^3(5/6)+(1/6)^4[/itex].

OH, that makes sense. Then,

P(1st die 2 | least 3 dice show 2) =[itex]\frac{ P (1st \,die\, 2\,\cap\, least\, 3\, dice\, show \,2)}{P(least \,3 \,dice \,show \,2)}[/itex]

P(1st die 2) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}(\frac{5}{6})^3[/itex]

What would be the relationship(intersection) of A and B? What I think, at least 3 dice showing 2 intersected with the 1st die showing 2 is just the 1st die showing 2? This doesn't completely make sense to me. I have a exam tomorrow, and conditional probability is just being hard on me. So all the help is really appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: By the way, the answer for #2 is given in the book. It says 16/21.

Last edited:
JP16 said:
As HallsofIvy said the possible outcomes, the set would contain {TH1,HT1, HH2}. Then the probability of that would just be,

2([itex]\frac{2}{4}\frac{1}{6})+\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{6} = \frac{5}{24}[/itex]

Would this be correct?

OH, that makes sense. Then,

P(1st die 2 | least 3 dice show 2) =[itex]\frac{ P (1st \,die\, 2\,\cap\, least\, 3\, dice\, show \,2)}{P(least \,3 \,dice \,show \,2)}[/itex]

P(1st die 2) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}(\frac{5}{6})^3[/itex]

What would be the relationship(intersection) of A and B? What I think, at least 3 dice showing 2 intersected with the 1st die showing 2 is just the 1st die showing 2? This doesn't completely make sense to me. I have a exam tomorrow, and conditional probability is just being hard on me. So all the help is really appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: By the way, the answer for #2 is given in the book. It says 16/21.

For P{A=B} you write
[tex] 2 \left( \frac{2}{4} \frac{1}{6} \right) + \frac{1}{4} \frac{1}{6}.[/tex]
Where does the (2/4)*(1/6) come from? Where does the 2*(2/4)*(1/6) come from?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
For P{A=B} you write
[tex] 2 \left( \frac{2}{4} \frac{1}{6} \right) + \frac{1}{4} \frac{1}{6}.[/tex]
Where does the (2/4)*(1/6) come from? Where does the 2*(2/4)*(1/6) come from?

RGV
Oh my bad, it should just be (2/4) * (1/6) + (1/4)*(1/6).
(2/4) : probability of having 2 heads in the total # of outcomes of flipping 2 coins.
(1/6) : probability of rolling a 1.

(1/4) : probability of both coins being heads.
(1/6) : probability of rolling a 2.

Am I making any progress? I feel like I am making it more difficult than it is.

JP16 said:
Oh my bad, it should just be (2/4) * (1/6) + (1/4)*(1/6).
(2/4) : probability of having 2 heads in the total # of outcomes of flipping 2 coins.
(1/6) : probability of rolling a 1.

(1/4) : probability of both coins being heads.
(1/6) : probability of rolling a 2.

Am I making any progress? I feel like I am making it more difficult than it is.

This is OK now. Don't despair: these things get easier with practice.

RGV

Thanks for the fast responses and guiding me in the right direction. Any guidance for the other question?

What is conditional statistics?

Conditional statistics is a branch of statistics that focuses on analyzing data based on certain conditions or criteria. It involves finding the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred.

What are the steps involved in conducting conditional statistical analysis?

The first step is to identify the variables that are of interest and determine if they are independent or dependent. Then, the data is collected and organized based on the conditions. Next, statistical tests and calculations are performed to determine the relationship between the variables. The results are then interpreted and conclusions are drawn based on the conditions.

What are some common applications of conditional statistics?

Conditional statistics is commonly used in hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and data modeling. It is also used in fields such as finance, marketing, and healthcare to make predictions and decisions based on specific conditions.

What is the difference between conditional and unconditional statistics?

Unconditional statistics involves analyzing data without any specific conditions or criteria, while conditional statistics takes into account certain conditions or criteria. In unconditional statistics, all variables are treated equally, while in conditional statistics, some variables are dependent on others.

How can I improve my understanding of conditional statistics?

To improve your understanding of conditional statistics, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic statistics and probability. Additionally, practicing with real-world examples and data sets can help in applying the concepts. Reading textbooks and attending workshops or courses can also be beneficial.