Need Help With Discontinuity Proof

In summary, the proof states that if a function is not continuous at a point x in an interval D, then the discontinuity at x must be one of four types: removable, jump, infinite, or discontinuity by oscillation. If both one-sided limits exist at x, then the discontinuity is either removable or jump. If one of the one-sided limits does not exist, then the discontinuity is by oscillation. If x is an endpoint of D, then only one one-sided limit can exist and it must coincide with the limit. In this case, the discontinuity can be removable, infinite, or by oscillation. However, it is not accurate to discuss continuity at points outside the domain of the function, as they
sonofagun
Let D⊆ℝ be an interval of nonzero length from which at most finitely man points x1,...,xn have been removed and let f: D→ℝ be a function. Then every discontinuity x∈D∪{x1,...,xn} of f is one of four types (removable, jump, infinite or discontinuity by oscillation).

Proof: Let x∈D or let x be one of the finitely many elements that were removed and assume that f is not continuous at x. Let the discontinuity at x be neither a removable discontinuity, nor a jump discontinuity, nor an infinite discontinuity. We will prove that it must be a discontinuity by oscillation. If limz→x-f(x) and limz→x+f(x) both existed, then they would either be equal and the discontinuity would be removable, or not equal and the discontinuity would be a jump discontinuity. Hence at least one of the one-sided limits does not exist at x. If x is the supremum or infimum of D, then f is defined at x and one of the two one-sided limits does not exist by default.

The last sentence is where I need clarification. I don't understand how x being the sup or inf of D implies that f is defined at x. Can someone explain that? The proof goes on:

In this case, the respective other one-sided limit also must not exist, because otherwise there would be a removable discontinuity at x. By symmetry, we can assume without loss of generality that limz→x-f(x) does not exist and f is defined on some interval [x-δ, x).

I'm stumped here as well. Can some one explain in detail why these sentences are true?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is discontinuity by oscillation?

Hawkeye18 said:
What is discontinuity by oscillation?

Suppose at least one of limz→x-f(x) or limz→x+f(x) does not exist. Then limz→xf(z) does not exist, and therefore ≠ f(x). Hence f is discontinuous at x. Suppose there exists a δ>0 such that f is bounded on {z∈D : distance (z, x) <δ}. If there are sequences zn and wn that converge to x (where zn, wn <x or zn, wn>x ∀n∈ℕ) and limn→∞f(zn) and limn→∞f(wn) both exists, but are not equal, we speak of a discontinuity by oscillation.

By the way, I figured out the first sentence I was having trouble with, but I still don't understand the last two. Anyone?

The proof you presented is a bit confusing and not 100% accurate. The proof should go like that: let point of discontinuity ##x## be inside of the interval where the function is defined. Then if both one-sided limit exist (both finite and infinite limits are allowed) we have either removable discontinuity (both limits exist, finite and equal), or jump (both limits exist, finite and not equal), or infinite (at least one of the limits is infinite).

If one of the one-sided limits does not exist we have discontinuity by oscillation.

Now about the last sentences: if the point of discontinuity ##x## is one of the endpoints, only 1 one-sided omit can be defined, and the one-sided limit coincides with the limit. In this case we cannot have jump discontinuity, because for the jump discontinuity we need 2 one-sided limits, so in this case there are 3 choices: removable discontinuity(limit exists and finite), infinite discontinuity (limit exists and infinite) and discontinuity by oscillation (limit does not exist).

Finally, the statement is a bit confusing in the part where loins ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n## are removed from the domain. I see a typical mistake perpetrated in almost all calculus books here. Namely, if you look at the definition of the continuity at a point, the point should be in the domain of a function, so in real mathematics continuity at a point outside the domain is not discussed at all! So if your points ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n## are not in the domain, continuity at these points should not be discussed.

However, in most modern calculus textbooks the author give correct formal definition of continuity, and then in examples talk about continuity at the points outside the domain.
To give an example, in real mathematics, the function ##f:\mathbb R\setminus\{0\}\to \mathbb R##, ##f(x)=1/x## is continuous at all points in the domain: the point ##0## does not belong to the domain, so continuity at this point should not be discussed. But most of the calculus textbooks say (wrongly) that ##f## is discontinuous at ##0##.

I know only one calculus text treating this correctly: this is the Strang's calculus (available as free download).

Likes sonofagun
Hawkeye18 said:
The proof you presented is a bit confusing and not 100% accurate. The proof should go like that: let point of discontinuity ##x## be inside of the interval where the function is defined. Then if both one-sided limit exist (both finite and infinite limits are allowed) we have either removable discontinuity (both limits exist, finite and equal), or jump (both limits exist, finite and not equal), or infinite (at least one of the limits is infinite).

If one of the one-sided limits does not exist we have discontinuity by oscillation.

Now about the last sentences: if the point of discontinuity ##x## is one of the endpoints, only 1 one-sided omit can be defined, and the one-sided limit coincides with the limit. In this case we cannot have jump discontinuity, because for the jump discontinuity we need 2 one-sided limits, so in this case there are 3 choices: removable discontinuity(limit exists and finite), infinite discontinuity (limit exists and infinite) and discontinuity by oscillation (limit does not exist).

Finally, the statement is a bit confusing in the part where loins ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n## are removed from the domain. I see a typical mistake perpetrated in almost all calculus books here. Namely, if you look at the definition of the continuity at a point, the point should be in the domain of a function, so in real mathematics continuity at a point outside the domain is not discussed at all! So if your points ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n## are not in the domain, continuity at these points should not be discussed.

However, in most modern calculus textbooks the author give correct formal definition of continuity, and then in examples talk about continuity at the points outside the domain.
To give an example, in real mathematics, the function ##f:\mathbb R\setminus\{0\}\to \mathbb R##, ##f(x)=1/x## is continuous at all points in the domain: the point ##0## does not belong to the domain, so continuity at this point should not be discussed. But most of the calculus textbooks say (wrongly) that ##f## is discontinuous at ##0##.

I know only one calculus text treating this correctly: this is the Strang's calculus (available as free download).

Thanks for your help. Regarding the points x1...xn:
The definition says at most finitely many points can be removed from the domain. It may be that no points are missing from the domain, in which case the domain is ℝ. But, if there is a set points not in the domain, it can only be finite. Otherwise, we'd have infinitely many points excluded from the domain and hence infinitely many discontinuities. I.e. we couldn't count the number of discontinuities.

By insisting that only finitely many points can be removed, we can count (at least theoretically) all the places where f is not continuous. I assume that's why the authors of these books include this stipulation in the definition, but I'm not totally sure.

sonofagun said:
The definition says at most finitely many points can be removed from the domain. It may be that no points are missing from the domain, in which case the domain is ℝ. But, if there is a set points not in the domain, it can only be finite. Otherwise, we'd have infinitely many points excluded from the domain and hence infinitely many discontinuities. I.e. we couldn't count the number of discontinuities.

By insisting that only finitely many points can be removed, we can count (at least theoretically) all the places where f is not continuous. I assume that's why the authors of these books include this stipulation in the definition, but I'm not totally sure.

I think you are confused here. If a point is not in the domain of a function, the function cannot be continuous or discontinuous at this point: continuity of a function outside of its domain is not discussed at all.

An issue may be
sonofagun said:

An issue may be that if you remove infinitely-many points, you may be removing a limit point; you do in a bounded domain.

Likes sonofagun
Hawkeye18 said:
I think you are confused here. If a point is not in the domain of a function, the function cannot be continuous or discontinuous at this point: continuity of a function outside of its domain is not discussed at all.

Maybe I am confused. The definition of continuity says that if f is continuous at x, then f must be defined at x. Hence, I assumed that if f is not defined at x, then f is not continuous at x. For example, the function f(x)=1/x-2 is not defined at 2. Doesn't this imply that f is not continuous at 2?

WWGD said:
An issue may beAn issue may be that if you remove infinitely-many points, you may be removing a limit point; you do in a bounded domain.

I haven't covered limit points yet. I'll keep this in mind though.

sonofagun said:
Maybe I am confused. The definition of continuity says that if f is continuous at x, then f must be defined at x. Hence, I assumed that if f is not defined at x, then f is not continuous at x. For example, the function f(x)=1/x-2 is not defined at 2. Doesn't this imply that f is not continuous at 2?
The definition of continuity says that we investigate continuity only at points in the domain. Continuity or discontinuity outside of the domain makes no sense, there is no function there: so if you study continuity outside of the domain, you are studying properties of an object that does not exist.

For example, if you have a function defined on an interval ##[-1, 1]##, would you say that it is discontinuous at ##x=100##? Or is it continuous at this point? Neither answer makes much sense, so in real mathematics, continuity outside of the domain is just not discussed. So in your example the function is not defined at ##x=2##, so its continuity there is not discussed.

To learn about continuity, you should look into any analysis textbook. Do not look into calculus texts, continuity is explained horribly there, and often wrongly.

P.S. I think the reason the calculus textbooks explain continuity wrongly, it is because they try to leverage intuition, and the facts about continuous functions are sometimes counterintuitive. For example, a function is always continuous at any isolated point in the domain. In particular, any function defined only on integers is always continuous.

You will probably ask: if ##x## is an isolated point in the domain of ##f##, then the limit ##\lim_{z\to x} f(z)## is not defined, so why ##f## is continuous at ##x##? The answer is that the definition in terms of limit is applicable only when ##x## is an accumulation point in the domain: in general case you have to use ##\varepsilon##-##\delta## definition, or the definition in terms of sequences.

Likes sonofagun
Hawkeye18 said:
The definition of continuity says that we investigate continuity only at points in the domain. Continuity or discontinuity outside of the domain makes no sense, there is no function there: so if you study continuity outside of the domain, you are studying properties of an object that does not exist.

For example, if you have a function defined on an interval ##[-1, 1]##, would you say that it is discontinuous at ##x=100##? Or is it continuous at this point? Neither answer makes much sense, so in real mathematics, continuity outside of the domain is just not discussed. So in your example the function is not defined at ##x=2##, so its continuity there is not discussed.

To learn about continuity, you should look into any analysis textbook. Do not look into calculus texts, continuity is explained horribly there, and often wrongly.

P.S. I think the reason the calculus textbooks explain continuity wrongly, it is because they try to leverage intuition, and the facts about continuous functions are sometimes counterintuitive. For example, a function is always continuous at any isolated point in the domain. In particular, any function defined only on integers is always continuous.

You will probably ask: if ##x## is an isolated point in the domain of ##f##, then the limit ##\lim_{z\to x} f(z)## is not defined, so why ##f## is continuous at ##x##? The answer is that the definition in terms of limit is applicable only when ##x## is an accumulation point in the domain: in general case you have to use ##\varepsilon##-##\delta## definition, or the definition in terms of sequences.

Ah, I see. It wouldn't make sense to say f is continuous or discontinuous at a point outside its domain because f isn't defined (doesn't exist) there. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm reading an Analysis book, by the way. It also contains a topological definition which I haven't gotten to yet.

1. What is a discontinuity in a mathematical proof?

A discontinuity in a mathematical proof occurs when there is a break or gap in the logical flow of the proof. This means that there is a point where the proof is not valid or does not follow a logical progression.

2. How do I identify a discontinuity in a proof?

To identify a discontinuity in a proof, you need to carefully examine the steps or statements in the proof. Look for any inconsistencies, missing links, or illogical jumps in the reasoning. These can indicate a possible discontinuity in the proof.

3. What causes discontinuities in mathematical proofs?

Discontinuities in mathematical proofs can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect assumptions, faulty logic, or incomplete reasoning. They can also occur due to errors in calculations or misinterpretation of definitions or concepts.

4. How do I fix a discontinuity in a proof?

If you have identified a discontinuity in a proof, you can try to fix it by carefully examining the steps leading up to the discontinuity. Look for any mistakes or missing information that may have caused the gap in the logic. You may also need to revise your assumptions or approach to the proof to ensure a valid and continuous argument.

5. Can a discontinuity in a proof be avoided?

It is possible to avoid discontinuities in proofs by carefully planning and organizing your approach to the proof. This includes clearly stating all assumptions, using logical and consistent reasoning, and double-checking all calculations and statements. However, discontinuities can still occur due to the complexity of some proofs, so it is important to carefully review and revise your proof before considering it complete.