How Do You Calculate Vector Change in 2D Elastic Billiard Ball Collisions?

In summary, the conversation is about predicting the vector after collision of two balls in billiards using angle-free representation formulas from Wikipedia. The values given for x1, x2, m1, m2, v1, and v2 are used to find the final vector after collision, but the result is incorrect. The conversation also mentions using online calculators and a vector-based technique for 2D collisions for help.
MatusVeselka

Homework Statement

Hello I am trying to predict vector after collision of 2 ball in biliard. I am using angle-free representation formulas from wikipedia : https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/14d5feb68844edae9e31c9cb4a2197ee922e409cx1 and x2 are positions of balls, m1 and m2 are masses of balls, v1 and v2 are vectors of direction before collision and the angle brackets indicate the inner product (or dot product) of two vectors.

my values are :
x1 = (0.5 , 0)
x2 = (0 , 1)
m1,m2 = 1
v1 = (0.5, 1)
v2 = (0, 0)

Untitled-1.png

Homework Equations

terms.png

The Attempt at a Solution

solution.png

[/B]
And here its my solution with vector (0.835 , 0.329), but this result can't be correct can somebody help me what I am doing wrong ? My result is total wrong and i don't know why

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 521
  • terms.png
    terms.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 640
  • solution.png
    solution.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Matus, :welcome:

Who says it's totally wrong ?
As it happens, the wikipedia page has an animation of 2 5 SF pieces colliding in exactly (##\approx##) this way. You could take screen shots and measure the vectors !

When i simulate my example on some online calculators then vectors must look like this for my parameters
beforAfter.png

But my final vector after collision its going to wrong direction :(

Attachments

• beforAfter.png
    beforAfter.png
    5 KB · Views: 556
MatusVeselka said:
some online calculators
Hogwash: there ##\vec v_2\ne0##

1. What is elastic collision in 2D?

Elastic collision in 2D is a type of collision between two objects in a two-dimensional space where both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy before and after the collision are equal.

2. How is the velocity of objects calculated in elastic collision in 2D?

The velocity of objects in elastic collision in 2D is calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. The initial and final velocities of the objects, along with their masses, are used in these equations to determine the final velocities after the collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collision in 2D?

Elastic collision in 2D is a type of collision where both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while inelastic collision is a type of collision where only the momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost. Inelastic collisions can result in deformation or heat generation, while elastic collisions do not.

4. How do you determine if a collision in 2D is elastic?

A collision in 2D is considered elastic if the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is equal. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not experience any loss or gain of kinetic energy during the collision.

5. What are the real-world applications of elastic collision in 2D?

Elastic collision in 2D has various real-world applications, such as in billiards, where the balls must maintain their momentum and kinetic energy during collisions, and in sports like tennis and golf, where the ball's velocity and energy are important factors in the game. It also has applications in engineering, specifically in designing car safety features to reduce the impact of collisions.