Need help with free undamped motion of springs

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a question on a Differential Equations exam. They share their equation for the motion of a mass suspended from a spring and ask for assistance with finding the times at which the mass is heading downward at a velocity of 3 ft/s.
CR9
Hey guys,

So I was trying to do a few questions to prepare for my Differential Equations exam soon, and I stumbled upon this question:

A mass of 1 slug is suspended from a spring whose spring constant is 9lb/ft. The mass is initially released from a point 1 foot above the equilibrium position with an upward velocity of square root 3 ft/s. Find the times at which the mass is heading downward at a velocity of 3 ft/s.

What I did was I took downward as positive while downward as negative. But I only managed to get 1 value for t, which is 0.6s.

My equation for the motion was x(t)= -cos 3t - (square root 3/ 3) sin 3t

Please help me...Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
CR9 said:
Hey guys,

So I was trying to do a few questions to prepare for my Differential Equations exam soon, and I stumbled upon this question:

A mass of 1 slug is suspended from a spring whose spring constant is 9lb/ft. The mass is initially released from a point 1 foot above the equilibrium position with an upward velocity of square root 3 ft/s. Find the times at which the mass is heading downward at a velocity of 3 ft/s.

What I did was I took downward as positive while downward as negative. But I only managed to get 1 value for t, which is 0.6s.

My equation for the motion was x(t)= -cos 3t - (square root 3/ 3) sin 3t

Please help me...Thanks !

You're showing us your solution to an initial value differential equation, but you haven't shown us the differential equation you started with. Show us the complete initial value problem and your work - it's possible you made an error somewhere.

1. What is undamped motion of springs?

The undamped motion of springs refers to the movement of a spring without any external forces acting upon it. This means that the spring will continue to oscillate at a constant amplitude and frequency without any decrease in energy.

2. How is undamped motion of springs different from damped motion?

The main difference between undamped and damped motion of springs is the presence of external forces. In undamped motion, there are no external forces acting on the spring, while in damped motion, there is an external force (such as friction or air resistance) that causes the spring to lose energy and eventually come to rest.

3. What factors affect the frequency of undamped motion of springs?

The frequency of undamped motion of springs is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A heavier mass, stiffer spring, and larger initial displacement will result in a higher frequency of oscillation.

4. How do you calculate the period of undamped motion of springs?

The period of undamped motion of springs can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that there are no external forces acting on the spring.

5. What is the equation of motion for undamped motion of springs?

The equation of motion for undamped motion of springs is x = A sin(ωt), where x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of oscillation, ω is the angular frequency (ω = √(k/m)), and t is time. This equation shows that the displacement of the object is directly proportional to the amplitude and the sine of the angular frequency multiplied by time.