Need Help With Thin Walled Pressure Vessel Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given by the professor and the confusion surrounding the solutions, particularly in parts B and C. There is a discrepancy in the answer for part C and a discussion about the use of 0.04 and the number of rivets over a certain distance. It is suggested that the problem may be poorly-written.
oshep

Homework Statement

My professor has given us the solutions to the problem, but I am having a hard time decoding what exactly is going on from the solutions, especially in parts B and C.

c0TM3A0.png

For Part B: I understand where the numbers are coming from and that this is a force balance problem, but I don't understand why they work. For example, the left side of the equation in part B represents the steel plate over the 50mm distance, but why does the right side have a width of 50mm while the left side of the equation shows the plate connectors having a width of 40mm? I understand that it has to do with the rivets, but don't the rivets puncture through both the connector plates and the steel plate? Wouldn't both plates in this situation have a width of 40mm?

For Part C: I tried applying the solution to part B and solving part C, but I instead got 161 MPa, which is half of the answer given. This is because I account for the fact that there are two rivets over the distance. Why is there a discrepancy between my answer and the solution given?Thank you to anyone that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the 0.04, they subtracted out the bolt diameter, although this doesn't make sense to me. Regarding the "two rivets over the distance," there are really two half-rivets over the distance, or 1 rivet for every 0.05 m.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
To get the 0.04, they subtracted out the bolt diameter, although this doesn't make sense to me. Regarding the "two rivets over the distance," there are really two half-rivets over the distance, or 1 rivet for every 0.05 m.

Chet

I followed your same reasoning. It is obvious that they subtracted out the rivet diameter, but my guess is that they should do it for each side. I think it's just a poorly-written problem.

oshep said:
I followed your same reasoning. It is obvious that they subtracted out the rivet diameter, but my guess is that they should do it for each side. I think it's just a poorly-written problem.
Well, they subtracted half the rivet diameter for each side.

Chet

1. What is a thin walled pressure vessel?

A thin walled pressure vessel is a container or structure that is designed to hold fluids or gases at a specific pressure. It is typically made of a thin material, such as metal, that can withstand the internal pressure without significant deformation.

2. What is the importance of understanding thin walled pressure vessels?

Understanding thin walled pressure vessels is important in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and chemical. These vessels are commonly used to store and transport pressurized liquids and gases, and any miscalculations or failures in their design can have serious consequences.

3. What are the key factors to consider when analyzing a thin walled pressure vessel?

The key factors to consider when analyzing a thin walled pressure vessel include the material properties, geometry and dimensions of the vessel, internal and external pressures, and any applied loads or restraints. It is also important to consider the purpose and intended use of the vessel.

4. What are some common problems encountered when dealing with thin walled pressure vessels?

Some common problems encountered when dealing with thin walled pressure vessels include buckling, plastic deformation, and stress concentrations. These issues can arise from improper design, material selection, or operating conditions, and can lead to failure of the vessel.

5. How can I solve a problem with a thin walled pressure vessel?

To solve a problem with a thin walled pressure vessel, it is important to first identify the specific issue and its root cause. This may involve using mathematical equations and calculations, as well as experimental methods. It may also be necessary to consult with experts in the field to find the best solution and ensure the safety of the vessel.