What is the Relationship Between Radius and Pressure in a Pressure Vessel?

In summary: The thickness of the head can be different from the thickness of the shell. In summary, the student is trying to find the required thickness of the shell of a pressure vessel given that the design pressure is 400 psi, the strength is 15800 psi, the corrosion allowance is 1/8" and the standard size is denoted ##t_a##. The student re-arranges the equation to solve for P and using the guessed value of ##R_{design}## with the ##t_{req}## value found above, they find that P>400psi. However, because the deadline for this assignment was extended, the student is unable to do all the necessary design calculations and make a drawing for their
minoroctave

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the required thickness of the shell of a pressure vessel, given that the design pressure P is 400 psi, the strength S is 15800 psi, the corrosion allowance CA is 1/8"and ##R_{design}## is to be found by iteration.

Homework Equations

##t_{req}=\frac{P(R_{design} + CA)}{S-(0.6P)}##

To account for corrosion, CA is added to ##t_{req}##
##t_{CA} = t_{req} + CA##

Using ##t_{CA}## , a standard size is selected, denoted ##t_a##

The Attempt at a Solution

Guessing ##R_{design}##, I solved for ##t_a##

Re-arranging the equation to solve for P,

##P=\frac{tS}{(R_{design}+CA)+0.6t}##

and using the guessed ##R_{design}## value with the ##t_{req}## value found above, I should check if P>400psi?

Physics news on Phys.org
It takes more than a radius to define the geometry of a pressure vessel. For instance, what is the capacity of this vessel? One liter, a thousand liters, what?

From your other thread :

Nidum said:
This is a pressure vessel so you will need to design shell , nozzles and other components to appropriate ASME codes .

I'm sorry but you can't just guess your way through this sort of problem . You either need to learn the necessary engineering skills or get help from a professional .

SteamKing said:
It takes more than a radius to define the geometry of a pressure vessel. For instance, what is the capacity of this vessel? One liter, a thousand liters, what?

the capacity is 5000 US gal. I attached the full question

Attachments

• question.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 357
Now finally we know what you are trying to do perhaps we can be a bit more helpful .

Draw a pressure vessel of credible shape and with required capacity . Decide for yourself what R should be to give a well proportioned design .

When you have your value of R the shell thickness calculation should be straightforward .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Now finally we know what you are trying to do perhaps we can be a bit more helpful .

Draw a pressure vessel of credible shape and with required capacity . R then comes from the drawing

When you have your value of R the shell thickness calculation should be straightforward .

is this the same as solving the total capacity equation for ##R_{design}?##
but wouldn't I need to know the length of the shell? that's not given either

minoroctave said:
is this the same as solving the total capacity equation for ##R_{design}?##
but wouldn't I need to know the length of the shell? that's not given either
That's what design is all about. You've got to take the capacity of the pressure vessel, along with the other specifications, and figure out the dimensions consistent with what service the pressure vessel must perform.

This is not a problem from a textbook where you plug numbers into a formula and crank out an answer.

I fear, given the deadline for this assignment, you will not be able to do all the necessary design calculations and make a drawing for your proposal.

You decide for yourself what the length of the shell is . You literally have to design the pressure vessel from very basic information .

thanks everyone, I get it now

SteamKing said:
I fear, given the deadline for this assignment, you will not be able to do all the necessary design calculations and make a drawing for your proposal.

its ok, the deadline was extended :cool:

Pick a value of R which is at least in the ball park . Draw a pressure vessel with shell length L = 1.5 to 2 R . Put a semi elliptic shell each end (ratio 2:1)

Does it look OK ?? Adjust proportions if it doesn't . Calculate volume . Scale up or down to get correct volume . You now have a pressure vessel shell and a value for R .

Likes minoroctave
can the thickness of the head be different from the thickness of the shell

1. What is the radius of a pressure vessel?

The radius of a pressure vessel is the distance from the center of the vessel to its outermost edge. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or inches.

2. How is the radius of a pressure vessel calculated?

The radius of a pressure vessel can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the vessel by 2, since the diameter is the distance across the vessel through its center. It can also be calculated by using the formula for circumference (2πr) and solving for r.

3. Why is the radius of a pressure vessel important?

The radius of a pressure vessel is important because it determines the surface area of the vessel, which in turn affects the amount of pressure the vessel can withstand. A larger radius means a larger surface area and thus the vessel can withstand more pressure without failing.

4. What factors can affect the radius of a pressure vessel?

The radius of a pressure vessel can be affected by various factors such as the material of the vessel, the type of pressure it is designed to withstand, and the intended use of the vessel. Other factors such as temperature, external forces, and corrosion can also impact the radius of a pressure vessel over time.

5. How does the radius of a pressure vessel impact its strength?

The radius of a pressure vessel has a direct impact on its strength. A larger radius means a larger surface area, which allows for more even distribution of pressure and can make the vessel stronger. On the other hand, a smaller radius can create areas of higher stress and weaken the vessel, making it more prone to failure.