Need help writing a coordinate proof

In summary, the coordinates of A,B,C are (0,0), (a,0), and (0, a). The slope of Line CM is undefined, so Line AB is perpendicular to Line CM.
cenglish
Member warned about posting with no template and no effort
Question:
Triangle ABC is a right isosceles triangle with hypotenuse AB. M is the midpoint of Line AB. Write a coordinate proof to prove that Line CM is perpendicular to Line AB.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is very simple. Draw out the diagram, label all the points, and appropriately label the sides that are equal to each other. Tell us what you get.

Mentallic said:
This problem is very simple. Draw out the diagram, label all the points, and appropriately label the sides that are equal to each other. Tell us what you get.
I got: The midpoint of Line AB is (a,0). The slope of Line CM is undefined and the slope of Line AB is 0. Therefore, Line AB is perpendicular to Line CM.

I misinterpreted "coordinate proof" as being something else.

cenglish said:
I got: The midpoint of Line AB is (a,0). The slope of Line CM is undefined and the slope of Line AB is 0. Therefore, Line AB is perpendicular to Line CM.

What are the coordinates of A,B,C? If you're going to claim these things, you have to show the calculations you've done to prove it. Why does CM have an undefined slope for example?

Or ideally, you should start by drawing the triangle in the simplest way possible. Since it's a right-triangle, use the fact that the x and y axes intersect at the origin at right angles to each other. That is, let
A = (0,a)
B = (a,0)
C = (0,0)

Notice that B is at position (a,0) because the lengths of AC = BC.

Set up a coordinate system with the origin at the right angle, the positive x and y axes along the two legs. Then one vertex is at (a, 0) and another at (0, a) for some number a. What are the coordinates of M? Show that the slope of the line from (0, 0) to M is the negative reciprocal of the line from (0, a) to (a, 0).

1. How do I start writing a coordinate proof?

To start writing a coordinate proof, you need to identify the given information and what you are trying to prove. Then, choose a coordinate system and label the given points with their coordinates. Finally, use the distance formula and other relevant geometric principles to support your proof.

2. What are the key components of a coordinate proof?

The key components of a coordinate proof are the given information, the coordinate system used, and the steps of your proof. Additionally, it is important to clearly state your assumptions and show your calculations using the relevant formulas and principles.

3. Can I use any coordinate system for a coordinate proof?

Yes, you can use any coordinate system as long as it is consistent and accurately reflects the given information. The most commonly used coordinate systems are the Cartesian coordinate system and the polar coordinate system.

4. How do I know if my coordinate proof is correct?

To check if your coordinate proof is correct, you can use geometric principles and formulas to verify each step of your proof. Additionally, you can also plug in the given coordinates into the formulas and equations to see if they yield the expected results.

5. What are some tips for writing a strong coordinate proof?

Some tips for writing a strong coordinate proof include clearly stating your given information and what you are trying to prove, using a consistent and accurate coordinate system, and providing detailed explanations for each step of your proof. It is also helpful to check your proof for any errors or inconsistencies before finalizing it.