Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need new web hosting

Tags:
  1. May 27, 2012 #1

julian

Gold Member

I'm writing 3 very long sets of notes on physics. At the moment I have a free webpage hoster (multimania) but recently it has been playing up and wont upload files (the memory is no where full so it isnt that).

There is also that it has always limited the size of individual files that can be uploaded in one go.

Does anyone know of a webpage hoster that will upload files of at least 20 MB at a time, is simple to use and not too expensive? Files being pdf, postscript, and maybe ps.gz.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    I use dropbox for documents. Its really awesome. Its not exactly a website host, but you can easily share your files with others(and retrieve them yourself!) with direct download links.

4. May 27, 2012 #3
  5. May 27, 2012 #4

julian

Gold Member

Thanks. Does you laptop have to be on and cxonnected to the internet for people to access your files?

6. May 27, 2012 #5

julian

Gold Member

Dropbox is excellent. Can store large files, and is easy. Plus dont have to worry about my webpage hoster playing up...well as long as it can contend with just uploading the new 'index' I need to write...this has worked before on someone else's computer - hopeit works again.

Thanks a lot!

7. May 28, 2012 #6
    Of course it works! :smile: You can also access dropbox on nearly any device android, ios, webos, you name it.

Nope, once you upload it, its done. It can be used anytime, anywhere, without you needing to be online.

8. May 30, 2012 #7

julian

Gold Member

Yes dropbox works, it's my webpage hoster that is playing up - now it wont even upload the index.html properly and now there is just a blank page where my webpage used to be...god damn it!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  9. May 30, 2012 #8

julian

Gold Member

Got a new free website - http://www.ianbay.comeze.com/ - this dropbox means you dont have to pay for larger memory space and larger upload memory size. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. May 30, 2012 #9
    Nice free webhost! I was planning to make a website soon, thanks for sharing! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook