Need Physics Help: Acceleration of a Cart w/ Working Out

• Thread starter deluxenathan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a man can achieve an acceleration of 10m/s when pushing an empty 20kg cart, and a force of 200N is required to achieve this acceleration. When the cart is filled with 100kg, the man will need to exert a force of 1000N to achieve the same acceleration. To find the acceleration for the full cart, the force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law (F=ma) and plugged into the equation F= (5m)a'.
deluxenathan
Need Physics help urgent!

A man pushes an empty 20kg cart as hard as he can and the cart accelerates at 10m/s. The cart is then filled so that the weight is 100kg. How much acceleration can the man achieve pushing the full cart? (Show all your working)

Hi that's the question i need to do I've done most of the working out i just don't understand the algebra in it and where it goes so if someone could fill and algebra out for me that would be great

ive added a attachment with the working out I've done so far.

Attachments

• bfd.png
    bfd.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org

You have two different accelerations so call them a and a'. You have F= ma and F= (5m)a'. F and m are the same.

He has acceleration as different, in the attachment at least.

It's fine what you're doing so far, but in my head, it works better by finding the force using Newton's Second:

F=ma -> F=20*10

Then you can plug it into any other equation as the force value, and you can get acceleration for a known mass (or mass for a known acceleration).

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do I calculate the acceleration of a cart?

To calculate the acceleration of a cart, you will need to measure the cart's initial velocity and final velocity, as well as the time it takes for the cart to change its velocity. Then, plug these values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to find the acceleration.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are meters per second squared, or m/s^2.

Can I use a different unit for time when calculating acceleration?

Yes, you can use any unit of time as long as it is consistent with the units of velocity and acceleration. For example, if your velocity is measured in kilometers per hour and time is measured in minutes, you will need to convert them to meters per second and seconds, respectively, before plugging them into the formula.

What is the significance of acceleration in physics?

Acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is also related to other important concepts such as force and mass through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.