1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Physics help !

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Need Physics help urgent!

A man pushes an empty 20kg cart as hard as he can and the cart accelerates at 10m/s. The cart is then filled so that the weight is 100kg. How much acceleration can the man achieve pushing the full cart? (Show all your working)

Hi thats the question i need to do ive done most of the working out i just dont understand the algebra in it and where it goes so if someone could fill and algebra out for me that would be great

ive added a attachment with the working out ive done so far.

Attached Files:

• bfd.png
      bfd.png
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Need Physics help urgent!

You have two different accelerations so call them a and a'. You have F= ma and F= (5m)a'. F and m are the same.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    Re: Need Physics help urgent!

He has acceleration as different, in the attachment at least.

It's fine what you're doing so far, but in my head, it works better by finding the force using Newton's Second:

F=ma -> F=20*10

Then you can plug it into any other equation as the force value, and you can get acceleration for a known mass (or mass for a known acceleration).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook