Need quality material on solid/ applied mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for recommendations on good reading material for solid and applied mechanics available on the internet. Another person suggests using Wikibooks or lecture notes from Dr. A. F. Bower from Brown University. They also recommend Timoshenko and Popov as good books to use. The conversation ends with a funny misunderstanding about the pronunciation of Timoshenko's name.
pamichel
Hi everyone,

Can you please tell me some good reading material on solid/ applied mechanics available on the internet? i want downloadable links or may be good informative internet sites where i can get basics of solid mechanics and applied mechanics.

Hope someone helps.

Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
THANX gokul!
I was using Ferdinan L. Singers book. Just needed some other reference. The notes on the internet sites are superb. Also I have heard about the Timoshenko book. I will look for it. Thanx again for the help.

Timoshenko all the way pamichel!

A lecturer once told us, "you must all go out and buy Timoshenko's mechanics textbook".

We'd not heard of him before, so a mate asked for a repetition so that we could make a note of it.

"Ok, so this Tim O'Shenko, Irish is he?"

Last edited:

1. What is solid/applied mechanics?

Solid/applied mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior of solid materials, such as structures and machines, under the influence of external forces. It involves the analysis of how forces and stresses affect the motion, deformation, and stability of solid objects.

2. What are some common applications of solid/applied mechanics?

Solid/applied mechanics has a wide range of applications, including structural engineering, biomechanics, aerospace engineering, and materials science. It is used to design and analyze structures, machinery, and systems in various industries, as well as to understand the mechanical properties of materials.

3. What are the key principles of solid/applied mechanics?

The key principles of solid/applied mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of equilibrium, stress and strain analysis, and the study of material properties. These principles are used to analyze and solve problems related to the behavior of solid materials.

4. How is solid/applied mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Solid/applied mechanics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It uses principles and concepts from these fields to study and understand the behavior of solid materials.

5. What are some resources for finding quality material on solid/applied mechanics?

There are many resources available for finding quality material on solid/applied mechanics, including textbooks, scientific journals, and online resources such as educational websites and research papers. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops related to this field can also provide valuable information and resources.