1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need some assistance with integration

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ x^(5)-2x^(2)-1/3x^(4) dx

2. Relevant equations

I am familiar with the power rule and how to split the expression into three separate expressions and then simplifying. I just cant seem to sort out my algebra for this problem.

xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
    x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is where i become stuck...Please show me a step by step process to solving the remainder of this problem; that way i can analyze it more deeply. Please Point out any things that seem wrong,i would REALLY appreciate the help given. :) :

∫ (x^5/3x^4 -2x^2/3x^4 -1/3x^4)dx = ∫ 1/3x -2x^(-2) -1/3x^(-4)dx = ∫ (x^2/6 + 2/x +1/9x^3) + C <------- This is the part where i become flabbergasted. . .Its simple im sure but i just cannot see it. I was thinking about multiplying the whole expression by 18x^3 but i am not sure if that is correct.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2
    Before we can give you help, can you clarify with parentheses what your integrand is? Is it (x5-2x2-1)/(3x4)? I ask, because it is difficult to read the problem and your work without parentheses.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, when you write stuff like this
    xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
    x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C​

it's difficult to discern that xn means xn or that x-1 means x-1. At the very least, use ^ more consistently.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook