Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need some assistance with integration

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫ x^(5)-2x^(2)-1/3x^(4) dx

2. Relevant equations

I am familiar with the power rule and how to split the expression into three separate expressions and then simplifying. I just cant seem to sort out my algebra for this problem.

xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
    x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is where i become stuck...Please show me a step by step process to solving the remainder of this problem; that way i can analyze it more deeply. Please Point out any things that seem wrong,i would REALLY appreciate the help given. :) :

∫ (x^5/3x^4 -2x^2/3x^4 -1/3x^4)dx = ∫ 1/3x -2x^(-2) -1/3x^(-4)dx = ∫ (x^2/6 + 2/x +1/9x^3) + C <------- This is the part where i become flabbergasted. . .Its simple im sure but i just cannot see it. I was thinking about multiplying the whole expression by 18x^3 but i am not sure if that is correct.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2
    Before we can give you help, can you clarify with parentheses what your integrand is? Is it (x5-2x2-1)/(3x4)? I ask, because it is difficult to read the problem and your work without parentheses.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, when you write stuff like this
    xn dx = xn+1

n + 1 + C if n is NOT= -1
    x-1 dx = ln|x|+ C​

it's difficult to discern that xn means xn or that x-1 means x-1. At the very least, use ^ more consistently.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook