Need some clarification on reading this truth table

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of a truth table and the confusion over the output numbers for W, X, Y, and Z. It is revealed that the numbers are based on Braille characters, with the presence or absence of dots corresponding to the output values. The person asking for help initially overlooked this and had to "smack themselves in the forehead" before understanding.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

braille.JPG

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to read the truth table. I understand that A, B, C, D are the inputs where 10 possible inputs are shown. However, with little to no sources available, I am lost on behalf of how this image came about to finding the outputs for W, X, Y, & Z just from looking at the right hand column from the left image of the braille readings. Can somebody possibly guide me to where the output numbers came from? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably, they are based on the Braille characters. They certainly correspond exactly to them so it seems rather obvious. It's likely just one of those cases where you don't happen to see something and then when you do you have to smack yourself in the forehead. :smile:

phinds said:
Presumably, they are based on the Braille characters. They certainly correspond exactly to them so it seems rather obvious. It's likely just one of those cases where you don't happen to see something and then when you do you have to smack yourself in the forehead. :smile:
Well...you see..that's the problem..I looked up the 3 dots in braille corresponding to A= 0, B = 0, C = 0, D = 0 from the left hand truth table..and in terms of numbers, those 3 dots is equivalent to the number 0. I still don't know how they got W= 0 X= 1, Y = 1, & Z=1 from the right hand truth table.

Aristotle said:
Well...you see..that's the problem..I looked up the 3 dots in braille corresponding to A= 0, B = 0, C = 0, D = 0 from the left hand truth table..and in terms of numbers, those 3 dots is equivalent to the number 0. I still don't know how they got W= 0 X= 1, Y = 1, & Z=1 from the right hand truth table.
You're overlooking the obvious. They clearly label the two column on the right as W over Z and then X over Y. The presence or absence of dots corresponds exactly, as I said, to the W,X,Y,Z shown.

Likes Aristotle
phinds said:
You're overlooking the obvious. They clearly label the two column on the right as W over Z and then X over Y. The presence or absence of dots corresponds exactly, as I said, to the W,X,Y,Z shown.
Okay you deserve a 'like'...I see it now haha.

Aristotle said:
Okay you deserve a 'like'...I see it now haha.
See, I TOLD you you'd have to smack yourself in the forehead. We all do it from time to time.

phinds said:
See, I TOLD you you'd have to smack yourself in the forehead. We all do it from time to time.
Thank you for your help :smile:

Aristotle said:
Thank you for your help :smile:
Hey, I'm an old forehead smacker from way back so I sympathize. Glad to help.

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of the possible combinations of inputs and outputs in a logical expression. It shows all possible outcomes for a given set of logical statements.

Why is a truth table used?

Truth tables are used to determine the validity and truthfulness of logical expressions. They help to evaluate the logical structure of a statement and determine whether it is true or false.

How do you read a truth table?

A truth table is read from left to right, with the inputs listed in the first columns and the corresponding outputs listed in the last column. The rows in between show the different combinations of inputs and their resulting outputs.

What do the symbols in a truth table mean?

The symbols used in a truth table represent logical operators, such as AND, OR, and NOT. These symbols are used to connect different inputs and determine the resulting output.

When is a truth table necessary?

A truth table is necessary when evaluating complex logical statements or when there are multiple inputs and outputs. It provides a clear and organized way to analyze the truthfulness of a statement.