ROM Troubleshooting and K-Maps: 16x4 ROM Truth Table Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving completing a truth table and k-map for a 16 x 4 ROM. One person raises concerns about the lack of given functions and the number of product terms needed, while the other suggests asking the teacher for clarification.
burns12

Homework Statement

a) complete the table for the 16 x 4 ROM shown and indicate on the diagram how the inputs and outputs are connected to the ROM.

b) Show your K-maps for functions F, G, and H and complete diagram on following page. Note that only 8 product terms are needed.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to do the truth table, don't you need some sort of functions? In part b it says to k-map functions F G and H. But it doesn't give us an F G or H. And wouldn't there need to be 4 functions for the 4 outputs? And I don't see why only 8 terms would be needed for the diagram either. I can't see how this is possible to even start.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 537
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one of the outputs is marked as an X, presumably meaning "don't care" because it isn't used. But otherwise, yeah, you're going to need F, G, and H. Go ask your teacher for the rest of the problem.

Alright good, I thought I knew how to do these and this completely threw me off. I'll ask him for it tomorrow.

Thanks

1. What is a ROM truth table?

A ROM (Read-Only Memory) truth table is a table that shows the output values of a ROM for all possible input combinations. It is used to represent the logical relationships between inputs and outputs in a ROM.

2. What are some common troubles with ROM truth tables?

Some common troubles with ROM truth tables include incorrect inputs, incorrect output values, and missing output values. These errors can occur due to human error, faulty hardware, or incorrect programming.

3. How can I troubleshoot my ROM truth table?

To troubleshoot your ROM truth table, you can double-check your inputs and outputs to make sure they are correct. You can also consult the datasheet or user manual for your specific ROM to ensure you are using the correct truth table. Additionally, you can use a logic analyzer to test the inputs and outputs of your ROM.

4. Can a ROM truth table be used for any type of ROM?

No, a ROM truth table is specific to the type of ROM it is created for. Different types of ROMs have different truth tables due to variations in their internal structure and logic functions.

5. How important is it to have a correct ROM truth table?

Having a correct ROM truth table is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning of your ROM. A single incorrect value in the truth table can result in incorrect outputs and ultimately affect the overall performance of your system. Therefore, it is important to thoroughly test and verify the truth table before using the ROM in any application.